Ply Gem Pro Series vs Deceuninck Energex

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
GVS

Ply Gem Pro Series vs Deceuninck Energex

#1 Post by GVS »

I am a homeowner renovating a 1958-built brick “transitional colonial” (non-symmetric) in a nice suburb of Detroit (valued at $300-350k). Our house has its original wood windows with two muntins in each hung unit (8 panes per double hung window assembly) and aluminum storm windows. The windows are in good condition give their age: all but two I the house work properly. However, many have cracked panes of glass, a few muntins have been damages ad poorly repaired and the storm windows are completely shot. My wife and I are looking into replacement windows.

Our house has a red-brick exterior with white trim. We are painting most of the interior trim a white or a light color. Since both inside and outside trim are white, we are looking at vinyl replacement windows. Being an mechanical engineer, I want a well constructed window that is energy efficient. We would prefer them to be made here in Michigan or NW Ohio (help the local economy).

The two windows we are strongly considering are Ply Gem Pro Series or a locally made window by Genex, which builds the Deceuninck Energex window (Deceuninck materials and assembly technology). We are leaning toward the Deceuninck Energex window, as it appears to be a little better built and has a nicer sheen on its appearance. The price is very competitive between the two, with the Ply Gem being priced a little lower.

My wife and I plan to stay in this house for a long time and we want a quality window that will last 30 years.

Any feedback on either (pros/cons) is greatly appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Ply Gem Pro Series vs Deceuninck Energex

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sunrise is also out of Michigan if you are looking for a locally made and owned company.

The Energex window is a solid performer as well.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

So from what I gather, Genex is the manufacturer here, but they are using the Deceuninck extrusion and design? It is a very good foundation for a window, but ultimately everything else that goes into the product (quality control in assembly, etc) will determine the quality of the finished product. Assuming that is up to par at Genex, it should actually be a great choice.
The Plygem Pro is okay. Not bad, not great. I'd recommend the Premium as a potentially closer comparison, although the Energex should still have better performance, and by a fair margin.

GVS

#5 Post by GVS »

HomeSeal: your interpretation is correct; Genex is assembling windows using extrusions, technology and equipment from Deceuninck. The Genex rep stated Decenunick supplies their components and equipment to approx. 200 small companies in the US for local manufacture. He started his career in 1983 with Dayton Technologies, who was purchased by Deceuninck in the late 1990s. The Genex windows have better thermal performance statistics than the Ply Gem (being an engineer, I love data) and appear better constructed. I think we will go with Genex.

As noted by WoW, Sunrise are VERY nice windows. However my local Sunrise dealer quoted $800/window installed (most of our windows are 40" x 45" or 40" x 54"). Genex are $375/window installed. Both include new aluminum exterior trim, etc. Although the Sunrise window appears to be a better unit, I cannot justify spending the 2x cost (I have 21 windows to replace). The Ply Gem were less than the Genex, but again, did not appear as well made and its thermal performance numbers were not as impressive.

Any other feedback is appreciated!

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

$375 is a very low price and a very good price if done properly.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

In my experience, a happy medium between the $375 an $800 will be found for a great product and installation done by an established, quality company. $375 is a bit below what is normally charged. I don't know how this company determines their pricing, but if you are indeed able to get a good installation on that product at that price, it is a smashing good deal.

GVS

#8 Post by GVS »

UPDATE

Our Deceuninck Energex windows (locally assembled and installed by Genex) were installed on Friday, 11/9/2012. What a difference! Their installation seems very good (installed & screwed into old jamb, expanding foam insulation around outside, all new aluminum trim with OSI caulk). The windows seem well made and use AGC Comfort Ti low-e coating. The end result is good.

I am having an energy audit done on the house in 2 weeks. Assuming it is a cold day, it should show any problem areas. I'll update this thread again if I run into any issues.
Attachments
Finished.jpg
Installation complete
(196.41 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
window detail.jpg
Window Detail
(215.07 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Last edited by GVS on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Looks like a nice window. Let us know how the improvement turns out.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Looks pretty good. Foam and Quad are a good sign.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

+2. looks nice. Are you sure that the H2u was used on the exterior? It is most commonly used on the interior, with OSI Quad on the exterior.

GVS

#12 Post by GVS »

HomeSealed wrote:+2. looks nice. Are you sure that the H2u was used on the exterior? It is most commonly used on the interior, with OSI Quad on the exterior.
Bad assumption on my part: they left an empty tube of H2U in a toolbag inside the house. I not sure exactly what was used on the outside, other than all their tubes were OSI. I'll correct my previous post.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Why are there weeps in the sill?
Does anybody else have a concern with the linteel cap?
TheWindowNerd...

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

My Energex series that is put out locally to my by Affinity Windows doesn't feature an exterior sill weep hole in the master frame or sill angle as it doesn't need one. The particular manufacturer for the pictured Energex window must feel the need for one. Sometimes I cap lintels when I'm positive that it will not dam water.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Good catch anthony, it looks like a pocket sill. The other Deceuninck products that I've seen (Homeguard and Affinity) are welded, sloped sill.
I was going to mention the lintel capping as well. Technically speaking it is not ideal, but I'm sure we have all done it from time to time as it is a fairly minimal risk for problems. We only do it by request, and after warning the homeowner of the potential problem in that the lintel allows moisture from behind the brick to escape.