Excalibur Window energy savings?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
dwillis

Excalibur Window energy savings?

#1 Post by dwillis »

We purchased 2 slider windows and 6 single windows from Community Builders Inc. from Tulsa, Ok in December 2011 for $7,000. Yes, that amount is correct, and call us stupid but we were lead to believe that these double paned, fold in, easy clean. low E, 50 years glass warranty windows would save us 40% on our energy bill!! Well guess what, we are not saving anything with these windows, in fact our house is colder now that it was with the windows that were installed in 1976.
Being told if they didn't save us the 40% we could send in our electric bills to prove there was no savings and we would be refunded our money, well that was not true either. Community Builders recently sent us back a letter stating that if it is not written on the contract that they would not stand behind that. I have tried to call Rodney Greenhagen the sales representative from Community Builders on several occasions with no response from him. I also filed a complaint with the BBB and nothing came out of that either.
I would not recommend doing business with them since I feel we were taken advantage of and being that my husband is on a waiting list for a kidney and on dialysis, that was money that we could have used for medical bills. We thought by installing more energy efficient windows we would be saving money to help our income for other bills.
Hopefully someone will read this and consider what is being told to you is not in fact the truth. Even though I wrote it all down when Mr. Greenhagen was there, they still said he never said any such a thing. They made effort at all to resolve any of the issues wih the windows or their representatives information being incorrect.

randy

Re: Excalibur Window energy savings?

#2 Post by randy »

I'm sorry that you fell victim to one of these shysters who so blatantly lie to get someone's business. Unfortunately, there are many more companies across the country that operate in the same deceptive manner. Hopefully your warning will help others avoid companies who guarantee ridiculously high energy savings. There is no way for a window company to know how much a homeowner will save on energy as many factors must be taken into account.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I am very sorry to hear about your troubles. I have no knowledge of that particular company, however the FTC and many states are actively pursuing the companies that are still out there making these baseless claims. You may or may not have legal recourse, however you would most certainly need to provide evidence that they did in fact make those statements.
On what you can do to remedy your energy loss: you will want to make sure that the windows are installed properly and operating at least to minimum standards. That product is does not rank favorably in comparison to some others in the area of air leakage, however it should still have offered some level of improvement. Some energy/home performance professionals will come out to your home and do a blower door test focusing specifically on the windows (it will show how badly they leak air). Those results can then be compared to what should be expected from a typical replacement window.

TommyJ

#4 Post by TommyJ »

sorry to hear about the issues as well.

best of luck getting them resolved!!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

This is why we warn customers to research the products they intend to purchase..unfortunately many homeowners look to save money and convince themselves that they " dont need high quality windows". In the end, its a very costly mistake: always... I could never offer my customers an excalibur window.

Thomas Tusing

#6 Post by Thomas Tusing »

Excalibur is not top of the line window my no means. You should still see a pretty big difference in inside temp compared to the old windows. If its colder inside now i would be willing to bet the Installers did not properly insulate the windows. I would doubt there is much you could do to get someone out to look from the sounds of it. If you are at all handy pull off a piece of the interior trim and see whats there. we always spray foam our windows and been to some homes with new replacement windows and they never got foamed and all the air is coming in from around the windows. Its worth a try.