South Texas Need Help Choosing Window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cassie

South Texas Need Help Choosing Window

#1 Post by cassie »

We are planning on replacing our 1960's aluminum windows with vinyl. Our local options are Jen-Weld, Lowe's, HD, Burris Ex, NT Presidential or Energy. We are leaning towards the NT and Burris, but very confused. Do both hold up well in the South Texas heat and anyone have experience in one versus the other?

HomeSealed

Re: South Texas Need Help Choosing Window

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

There is a board pro named Randy who is the guy that I'd trust in your area. I'm sure that he will weigh in with a recommendation.
The only thing that I would say is that your feeling about holding up in the Texas heat is very valid. Vinyl is a legitimate option, but you definitely need a stoutly built product due to the extreme conditions. That pretty much eliminates the box stores from consideration. I'll let Randy weigh in on the others as they are regional offerings.

cassie

#3 Post by cassie »

Thank you HomeSealed, I am very much hoping Randy will. And, while on the subject, I have one more question. The SDL's....I asked a representative if looking from across the street you would see a difference between the SDL's and the interior grid windows. His answer was no. Is that true? I am trying to get more of the look from an old style wood window and was hoping the SDL would create more of that look. My spouse thinks the interior grids would be much easier for cleaning, but looks are very important to me as well as energy efficiency.

Randy, and anyone else, would you be kind enough to answer both questions.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Here is Randy in a thread. Click on his name and get in contact with him. You won't regret it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5663

randy

#5 Post by randy »

You are wise to consider the heat's effect on vinyl windows and NT's Presidential and Energy Master are the superior choices, from the windows you're considering.

As to the SDL vs. grids between the glass, there is a marked difference in aesthetics. With grids between the glass (when combined with low solar low-e) the grids will be obviously darker than the frames and sashes. If you're going with tan windows, the grids typically aren't even very visible. Simulated divided lites are much more authentic looking, providing a more upscale appearance. Of course it comes with a fairly hefty up charge.

Ordinarily I would encourage you to consider thermally-broken aluminum as an alternative, but they do not offer SDL's.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I'll just throw in here that I agree with the difference on the sdl's. If you have full screens and or window treatments closed all of the time then I would definitely consider whether or not it is worth the extra cost, however if you are going for a more authentic look they can't be beat. I have also had clients that elect to put them only on the front of the home to minimize the expense, while getting the most "bang for the buck" in terms of appearance.

cassie

#7 Post by cassie »

Randy, should if we consider the aluminum, which company(s) would we look into?

And, Randy or Home... can you think of a website where I might see a photo with a SDL?

Thank you for your help and sorry to ask a ton of questions.

randy

#8 Post by randy »

Don Young's TBA is a great product, especially when upgraded to Cardinal's Low-E366 and XL Edge spacer.

For SDL photos, I'd go to Marvin's website - marvin.com.

cassie

#9 Post by cassie »

Ok, after much searching....and we can not get the Simonton window here....I guess I am down to NT and Burris. Opinion wise...is one better than the other? If NT, would it be the Presidential and are they both a medium grade window? I do like the thermal break window, but everyone I speak to here is discouraging....not a great rating, not good on the coast (we are 30 miles inland), etc.

One final comment: The contractor mention he can get an Alside window. ?

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Since you are only 30 miles from the coast have you checked to see if impact windows are required?
If you compare the thermal and structural ratings( DP & AL) you will understand why most of the pros who post here do not care for alside. Additionally any window that has a pocket sill would be thought inferior.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

Impact windows are not required but, chances are, some type of window covering (plywood, shutters, etc...) is required.

Of those two, I'd go with NT. For one thing, it's a more established product line, with a longer track record. Second, NT is far better at providing service under a warranty claim. Third, NT's standard glass is Cardinal's Low-E366, which is outstanding for our region. Burris uses Cardinal's Low-E270 for some reason and upgrading to 366 is an additional charge.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

randy wrote:Impact windows are not required but, chances are, some type of window covering (plywood, shutters, etc...) is required.

Of those two, I'd go with NT. For one thing, it's a more established product line, with a longer track record. Second, NT is far better at providing service under a warranty claim. Third, NT's standard glass is Cardinal's Low-E366, which is outstanding for our region. Burris uses Cardinal's Low-E270 for some reason and upgrading to 366 is an additional charge.
Regarding the glass packages, that is hilarious, particularly because we have some manufacturers up here that use 366 standard and the 270 is an upcharge. :lol: Who is in charge of this stuff??? :shock:

To translate that into layman's terms for the benefit of others that may read this, the 366 glass blocks more solar heat (numerically lower SHGC) which is desirable in a hot climate, while the 270 is a more moderate level for cooler regions where we want to take advantage of some of that solar gain.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote: Regarding the glass packages, that is hilarious, particularly because we have some manufacturers up here that use 366 standard and the 270 is an upcharge. :lol: Who is in charge of this stuff??? :shock:
Until just recently, the Federal Government was the body that was mandating national SHGC numbers. Makes perfect sense because out climates are all the same across the country. Randy will have just as much and the same type of winter that HomeSealed will..... :lol:

Remember, If you want something done wrong, unprofitably, and counter to all good sense....just send it their way.

Get out and vote in November. Exercise your Constitutional Right and Duty people.

cassie

#14 Post by cassie »

Guess who? OK after looking at the NT's colors, I like a custom color - cameo which is a creamy white. I am going to have that quoted with the SDL's which my husband does not truly want because of cleaning ease. If I go with a standard grid it would be white and I do not see cameo and white. Does anyone who sells/installs their product have their colors? Is their almond color the same as what the custom color chart shows as tan? If so, almond may work with almond grids. We have an odd color brick and color is important in our application.

randy

#15 Post by randy »

The two colors (almond & tan) are slightly different, but very close.