Replacement Window Quotes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
meshel

Replacement Window Quotes

#1 Post by meshel »

Hello and thank you for reading my post. I am from southeast Virginia - Hampton Roads area.

I've searched through this website and found great information, but I am overwhelmed with the process.

Quotes from 3 companies:
17 double hung, 1 picture window over 100 ui, 1 picture window under 100 ui
No grids, half screen, dual pane argon filled, exterior casing wrapped with PVC coated aluminum

A. Okna Insultec $7800 - Low E glass, Heatseal spacer - UFactor .25 / SHGC .30
Vinyl Kraft Legacy $6000 - Low E glass, Super Spacer - UFactor .30 / SHGC .29 (Opinions? I can't find any recent posts about this maker.)

B. Alside Excalibur $5700 (as recommended here, I will disregard this)

Then realized I can purge 2 double hungs in the attic and get one slider instead, since it occupies just one opening.
15 double hung, 1 horizontal slider ~33x52, 2 picture windows

C. Simonton 5500 $10000 - double strength glass, LoE366, intercept spacer - UFactor .30 / SHGC .20
Simonton Asure $7000 - same glass package as the 5500

I'll request a new quote from company A for the window change, but I'm guessing it should bring the price down by about $200. I will schedule an appt with Simonton Prism, Gorell 5300 and Sunrise dealers this week.

Unfortunately, my budget for this project is ~$7000 so I will have to toss the Simonton 5500. Will be keeping home for another ~5 years.
Should I bother getting quotes for the other windows? I really don't want to be wasting anyone's time if they will be way above my budget. Are prices quoted negotiable? I didn't try to haggle, just kept my poker face while they were writing it up. No pressure from the reps as well.

What other questions should I be asking? Recently read that spray foam is best, but none of the above does it. Company A & C uses foam wrap.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Window Quotes

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

No comparison.

The Insul-Tec is the best of that bunch by a mile. Spray foam is best in this case as the foam collar is open cell and does allow air flow through it.

While I would highly recommend stretching the budget to use the Insul-Tec Deluxe (i.e. the U-Factor 0.25), I realize that budgets are budgets. If you want to try to trim the numbers, see about getting that reduced to a non-deluxe window to get that number down.

If that does not meet the price point, you could look at using the Precision Weld (Okna 400) as it is still a better option than your other choices. The price differential is not that big a spread and I recommend staying with the Insul-Tec and ideally the deluxe (foam filled).

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd second WoW's sentiments. The Okna product is easily that best product that you've seen, and by my calculation you are only averaging slightly over $400 per unit. That price is an absolute STEAL on that product. So much so, that I would do a careful vetting of whoever you are looking at as the installer.
I'd also agree that low expansion, closed cell foam around the perimeter is the way to go without question. It can be the difference between an installer that is top-notch, and one that does "good enough to get by". I can guarantee that you'll pay a slight premium for a top-notch install. In fact, I'd actually take the 400 series with a high quality install over the 500 with a mediocre install.
Windows on Washington may serve your area and would be an excellent resource if he does.

meshel

#4 Post by meshel »

Thank you both for your reply.
Reading other posts, I don't think WoW comes this far south...unless you've expanded?

As far as the Okna product, they are the only dealer in my area so I can't shop around.
Also, just called them and asked about using spray foam and they said it was a big no-no because of expansion ruining the window. Hmm!

Anyway, called a Softlite dealer and they do use spray, so scheduled an appointment for Monday. They offer Elements, Barrington and Bainbridge. If price is within budget, would these be better choices considering the install?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Spray foam is not a deal breaker but it is ideal.

If the gap is tight, you can accomplish the same amount of air sealing with sealant and backer rod.

The equivalent window in the Soft-Lite line to the Insul-Tec would most likely be the Imperial LS.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Any one who says foam is a no no due to expansion is living in the past.
Low expansion window and door foam is the industry best practice and should be used. It does not have to be, but it is an indicator of professionals who stay current in the industry.
Click on WOWs Get A Quote button and see if it will go through.
They are one of the best window companies in the east.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Many "old-timers" are resistant to new techniques and may still provide a quality install, but as anthony said, foam is indeed the best practices and can be a sign that your installer is employing the "latest and greatest' methods in all areas.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Did ya click on WOW s button?

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

Push it,do it, do it now.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:Push it,do it, do it now.
Hilarious...but we are not that far South. I think you have a great quote there already.