Vinyl replacement options

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
windowrookie

Re: Vinyl replacement options

#16 Post by windowrookie »

Thanks WoW and HomeSealed!. So, the Softlite windows' quote is infact for the LS. I am narrowing my choice to these two window makers - SoftLite and Okna. The questions now is which model?

The LS as I had said was quoted for $2950. The OKNA 400 for $3150 and OKNA 800 for $3675.

The OKNA 400 (and 800 too I believe) have U factor of 0.28, whereas the LS has a U factor of 0.30.

The LS comes standard with foam filled frames, whereas in the OKNA it is additional $50 per frame.

I think from a warranty standpoint both seems to be pretty much the same, where both installers are covering even the labor.

1. Is the Okna 800 better than the LS to warrant a $700 premium?
2. Is the insulated frame recommended for a better efficiency?
3. Should any options be added such as superspacer, triple pane, krypton etc? Please recommend.

Thanks for all your help,

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

I would take the LS over the 400, but the 800 over the LS. When you throw the price difference in there, it becomes more difficult. My recommendation would be to simply choose the window that you like better. You won;t go wrong either way. You should however upgrade the LS to super spacer for an apples to apples comparison if it does not already include it. The Okna choice comes with the composite Heatseal spacer as standard.
On your options, I do like the foam. It takes the u-value from .28 down to .26 on the 800, and down to .25 on the 500 if you have that option available. It is good on the Softlite as well.
On triple pane, it will definitely improve the performance if your budget will allow. Krypton can be harder to justify, as most manufacturers have a significant up-charge for it.
At the end of the day, just make sure that you are comparing apples to apples option content between the two. If in the end, you like the product that comes in higher, you could always ask if they will match the price. :wink:

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 800 is probably a bit better than the Imperial LS and on the level with the Soft-Lite Elements but the LS is a really good window.

Not sure I could legitimize the $700 delta unless you like the look of the 800. Most folks prefer the metal hardware and colonial exterior so make sure you get the window that you like the look of.

The foam does add to the thermal efficiency in the case of the Okna and drops it from a 0.28 to a 0.26 or 0.25 depending on the window.

The Okna only offers one spacer and it is non-metallic. The equivalent option in the Soft-Lite would be the super spacer.

windowrookie

#19 Post by windowrookie »

Thanke WoW and HomeSealed again! Ok, I am leaning more towards the LS as I cant justify the additional $700 to get the Okna 800. However, I am concerned about the dealer for the LS windows I got quote from. There are many negative complaints (26 in total) on his company in BBB in spite of the company not being a BBB member. Some of the complaints are really concerning because the company owner does not seem to honous the warranties and in many cases has ordered wrong stuff and then blamed the customers. I live in central massachusetts - Southborough, and was wondering if you would know any good dealer/installer of the LS windows.

Thanks in advance.

Windows on Washington

#20 Post by Windows on Washington »

At that point, what is the extra money worth if you get the right contractor. $2,900 for windows that are hung wrong is wasted money regardless of it being $700 cheaper.

If you like the 800, go for it and splurge if the company checks out better.

If not that route, look for another Soft-Lite dealer. 26 complaints is not exactly "little".

HomeSealed

#21 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The extra money may or may not be justifiable on product alone, but it certainly is more than worth it to deal with a good company that will do quality work and stand behind it.

New England Pro

#22 Post by New England Pro »

Agreed with the 2 Pro's. I'm aware of one company in the Boston area with 26 BBB complaints, and would recommend the customer choose a more reliable contractor, even at a higher price. Sorry this is my first post. N

TheWindowNerd

#23 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would agree with the above.
If you can not find another dealer on the SL website, then contact them and ask for a refferal.

windowrookie

#24 Post by windowrookie »

Hi Guys,
Just had another installer of Soft-Lite windows for an estimate. (the previous installer, who is also an official dealer of Sof-Lites in the area had given a quote of $430 per window for Imperial LS but the guy had a lot of complaints against him on BBB). The new guy gave a quote of $580 for the same window (double hung, with grids, double pane with argon and super spacer). The price includes installation.

So, for a total of 7 windows the price is $2900 vs. $4060 for the same window. The price differential seems quite high but what do you guys think /of the quote? what have you guys seen for pricing for a comparable Imperial LS window?

Thanks.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#25 Post by masterext »

$ 580 is a much closer to the norm in terms of pricing for the soft lite imperial LS. the guy that quoted 430 per window is just completely ridiculous and what a coincidence; he happens to have a bunch if complaints from the BBB.
in my experience, contractors that quote ridiculously low prices either lie to the customer and change the pricing at the last minute ( bait and switch) or wind up doing a horrible install. i never met a contractor who would quote pricing in order to lose money.
so yes, 580 per window is good/ normal pricing for that window.

TheWindowNerd

#26 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree completely with Masterext.

Windows on Washington

#27 Post by Windows on Washington »

Anytime I see a number that is really low or really high, it gives me reason for concern.

That combined with the questionable BBB record, I would think long and hard before engaging with that contractor.

HomeSealed

#28 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with all of the above. The $580 price may or may be a great deal depending on all of the options, install circumstances, etc, but it is certainly within the range of what would be considered reasonable.... The low $400's for that product otoh does raise some red flags in my book. The bad record that you found speaks volumes IMO.

windowrookie

#29 Post by windowrookie »

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

I am now considering whether it is better to get the Okna 800 for $3675 vs the Soft-lite LS for $4060? Isnt the Okna a better window than the Soft-lite?

Thanks,

Windows on Washington

#30 Post by Windows on Washington »

The performance numbers are basically a wash.

The feedback that I get from most folks is that the prefer the aesthetics of the 800 over the LS.