Bryn Mawr II versus Simonton 5500 - What is Better ?????

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Michael

Bryn Mawr II versus Simonton 5500 - What is Better ?????

#1 Post by Michael »

Hello Window People !!!!

I have narrowed my search down to 2 windows, Bryn Mawr II and Simonton 5500, I have 15 windows to replace. 11 D/H, 1 106X47 3 Lite Slider, 1 42X42 Plate or Picture, 1 36x36 Casement and a small obscure slider. Quotes comming in for $6800 to $7000 for Simonton 5500 and $6200 for Factory certified Bryn Mawr II installer (owner does the work, 25 years in bus.). I live on Long Island, N.Y. and it's a tuff market. The old windows are aluminum frame so it's work to get them out. Any suggestions about which window is the better choice and best value would be of great help, thanks in advance for all feedback !!!

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

I think the 5500 is a little better than the Bryn Mawr II.

I do consider the Certainteed to be a decent window but before choosing to sell Simonton I looked at the Certainteed line and I chose Simonton over Certainteed because I felt the product was better and the fact that Simonton actually manufactures almost every product they sell and they are a vertically integrated company from design to extrusion and fabrication.

Certainteed on the other hand serves primarily as an extruder then will contract a local fabricator to build the window (this is not the case in all regions, they do own some fabrication). This was troubling because quality control can vary and the possibility of the fabricator ending the agreement.

Bill

searspro

#3 Post by searspro »

Sears sells Simonton windows. I have installed thousands for them, with very few problems or complaints, in fact I am amazed at how much quieter a house is with the new simonton windows. I've had numerous customers just freak out about the silence inside. Neighbors with loud music or local traffic or whatever. However, I like the thought of the owner of the company installing them, the install can make all the difference in the world. My new motto is "A BAD INSTALL CAN MAKE EVEN THE BEST WINDOWS SUCK AIR", I'm sure you would be happy with the less expensive window, if the installer does a good job!

Michael

Any opinion on Ideal Windows, Custom Weld II ??????

#4 Post by Michael »

searspro wrote:Sears sells Simonton windows. I have installed thousands for them, with very few problems or complaints, in fact I am amazed at how much quieter a house is with the new simonton windows. I've had numerous customers just freak out about the silence inside. Neighbors with loud music or local traffic or whatever. However, I like the thought of the owner of the company installing them, the install can make all the difference in the world. My new motto is "A BAD INSTALL CAN MAKE EVEN THE BEST WINDOWS SUCK AIR", I'm sure you would be happy with the less expensive window, if the installer does a good job!