Can't make an intelligent decision

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
CaroleJC2012

Can't make an intelligent decision

#1 Post by CaroleJC2012 »

I live in the Dallas-Ft Worth area and am trying desperately to make a decision in my
window replacement venture. The more I read, the more confused I become. I have
had two contractors come out already and of course each claims theirs is the best. I am a single person with no one else to bounce thoughts off of. I have read a couple of reviews on this board all of which recommend "Randy" as a good source. So, Randy, if you are out there, can you recommend the best mid-priced window for my area and tell me why? Anyone else, feel free to chip in as well. Also, for any recommendations, how would I go about finding a contractor in my area that specializes in the recommended windows? This is a big expense, especially at this time of the year, and I want it done right. I never knew replacing windows was such a major decision! :shock:

Windows on Washington

Re: Can't make an intelligent decision

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What do you need your windows to look like in this case?

Vinyl is okay for Texas as long as it is well engineered and built to last.

I am sure Randy will provide some feedback here.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Please provide your zip code and some basic specs on your windows.
Color, grids, sizes, qty.

CaroleJC2012

#4 Post by CaroleJC2012 »

anthony wrote:Please provide your zip code and some basic specs on your windows.
Color, grids, sizes, qty.
TheWindowNerd.
Almond to Tan, no grids, dimensions approximately 39 x 51 six windows all approximately same dimensions, give or take a fraction either way. Interested in single-hung but can be talked into a double-hung. :wink: Oh, and zip is 75056. Thanks!

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Those are fairly large openings. Vinyl is definitely doable, but a high quality product is a must. Sash reinforcement would be a good idea as well. I'm sure that anthony and/or randy can expound on that being in your neck of the woods.... In fact, you can check if either one serves your area by hitting their "Get a quote" button. Both are great guys to work with.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

I agree with what's already been said. To answer the question originally posed, I think NT's Energy Master is one of the better mid-grade single hung vinyl windows available in our area. It offers as standard features what other manufacturers offer as upgrades; Super Spacer, Low-e366, internal sash reinforcement.

Before I went with vinyl though, I'd take a look at thermally-broken aluminum. Don Young is based in Dallas and they make a really nice product for Texas.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Carole,
I would suggest that you click on Randys "Get A Quote" button.
You will not find a better person to do business with.
As you can tell he has a large stable of great products to meet your needs.

CaroleJC2012

#8 Post by CaroleJC2012 »

Still looking at windows. I will be so glad when I make a decision and this is over with!
I thought I had all the information I needed but now I hear something about air filtration numbers. Where do you find this on the specs? I can find nothing about air filtration on any of the brochures I have to date. Could it be listed as something besides "air filtration"? Why is this important?

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Not to be coy, but the reason that it is important is pretty self-explanatory unlike some other ratings. It simply measures the amount of air that is able to pass through the assembly at a 25mph windspeed. This rating not only tells you how "tightly" the window will perform (assuming proper installation of course), but it also gives you a good indicator of the overall build quality of the product. A window that uses better materials, is more structurally sound, and has tighter manufacturing tolerances will perform better. There is some debate as to how low is "low-enough", however lower is always better. :)

CaroleJC2012

#10 Post by CaroleJC2012 »

Thanks HomeSealed. I get why it is important now but still do not know where to find those particular ratings. Would I need to go to the window manufacturers website to locate that particular information? I can't find it on any of the brochures that have been left with me by the different window installers. :?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

More than likely you will need to ask for it. A few manufacturers that excel in this area actually promote the ratings in their literature, however those that are not great would rather not talk about it. :wink:
Every product gets a structural testing data sheet which has these ratings. Any sales person worth their salt should be able to provide that for you... and I would definitely recommend that you get it in writing. Sales guys have a tendency to "mis-remember" things that their product does not do well.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

Usually if a manufacturer designs an air tight window they brag about it ; and for good reason. It will almost always be on their website and certainly advertised in their brochures if the numbers are good.
Be Leary of companies who mention air leakage based on "pass or fail".
In my experience, Companies that have low air leakages numbers really pay attention to design and engineering.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree.