window wrap question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rb98

Re: window wrap question

#16 Post by rb98 »

anthony wrote:Looks like to small of a gap to foam or batt, at least on the sides.
the bottom can be insulated.
I would ask them to foam the bottom and caulk the small gap before securing and caulking the capping.
Thanks, I'll mention the gap on the bottom.
anthony wrote: Why did you hire someone whom you have to ask us about the way they are doing the job?
So I shouldn't be asking you any more questions because I already hired a guy? Or should I fire the guy and start over because I feel the need to question a particular aspect of his work? I'm just getting an independent opinion from this valuable resource. If I'm going to ask him to do something I should probably do my homework on it first.

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

Fair questions rb. :)
Anthony's advice was on point, larger gaps should be foamed or stuffed with fiberglass, while those that are too small should be caulked. I don't care how tight it is, there is no reason to leave any gap unsealed.

TheWindowNerd

#18 Post by TheWindowNerd »

My point is with all the research you did you should be able to discuss this with your contractor and trust them.
I do not get the impression that you have that type of relationship and am curious as to why? The answer to that question helps others in their contractor selection and me in meeting the needs of my customers.

toddinmn

#19 Post by toddinmn »

A few things seem wrong before even looking at the pictures. 50% of the windows being wrong is rare and not typical.The wrapping guy going to the hospital seems a little suspicious.Did the leave enough room to square the window with no gapping on sides?Most pros do not use fiberglass nor should they have to be told where to put it.The use of head expanders is not preferred and makes me wonder if they measured the other 50% of the windows correctly.
It looks like they could foam towards the top sides of the window. I would have them remove the coil from the sill and head as well. Make sure they run the sill coil underneath the casing and window.Are they going to put a bend in the casing or is it going to be flat?What sealants are they going to use?Post some pictures of the wrap before they caulk if you can, a lot of sins are covered by caulking.

rb98

#20 Post by rb98 »

So the contractor is in his mid 60s, and the guy doing the capping is 68 years old. They were recommended as really experienced and honest as it comes, and have been doing it for 30+ years. I was suspicious about the hospital thing too but I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt. It's not like he's off doing other work since his brake is still in my driveway. When they get back to it, the old capping (full perimeter) is going to be removed and redone.

As far as the wrong size windows, I was there when he measured and all were nominally 30" wide, but the upstairs windows came in at 39" wide. He said that he went back and forth with the supply house over who screwed up but it doesn't matter because new windows are coming. It was likely a miscommunication or typo, not a mismeasure.

After initial feedback yesterday, I called him and talked through the remaining work, and I feel much better. He iss planning to caulk, insulate and cap but because the capping was delayed they're going to do all of that when they come back. They weren't going to leave insulation to get rained on (makes sense).

It looks like my primary concerns are relieved. Thanks for all of your help.
anthony wrote: I do not get the impression that you have that type of relationship and am curious as to why?
I'm a young first time homeowner in a new town far away from my roots. I don't have a network of trusted contractors so I have to rely on recommendations from people I barely know. I'd be more trusting of someone that I or a family member had personal experience working with, but in this case I just met the guy. Plus, I like to get smart on things rather than rely on one person's advice. This forum has been wonderful in that regard.

toddinmn

#21 Post by toddinmn »

I would have done the same and it seems smart to me, of cousrse would still like to see spray foam instead of fiberglass and no head expanders. I work with a few old guys and they also like the fiberglass and window wrap.

TheWindowNerd

#22 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Thank you for your candor.
Sometimes more than one thing goes wrong a a project and it can make a very skilled person look inept.
I am sure when the reordered windows come in that all will get back on track for you.

rb98

#23 Post by rb98 »

posting pictures!

thanks for all your help
Attachments
old window.jpg
(39.12 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
new windows.jpg
(60.09 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
new window.jpg
(35.49 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

TheWindowNerd

#24 Post by TheWindowNerd »

So how do you feel about the final results?

rb98

#25 Post by rb98 »

I feel great! I got exactly what I wanted, I'm confident they were done right, and I got a great deal.

HomeSealed

#26 Post by HomeSealed »

Awesome! Thanks for posting back with your results :D

fridge2020

#27 Post by fridge2020 »

Looks fine.