Replacement Window Help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
travis4710

Replacement Window Help

#1 Post by travis4710 »

First time posting here, so hopefully I can get some expert recommendations. I need to replace all of my casement windows in a 1978 brick ranch. I'm located in SW Virginia and I have prices all over the board, 11k for BF Rich to 36K for Gorell, with Simonton and Marvin in the middle. To be honest, I'm completely lost with such a broad price spectrum. Below are the window sizes if that helps:

5 Panel Bow Window- 103 1/2" x 56 1/2"
Single W/ Privacy- 26 3/8" x 43 3/4"
Twin- 51 5/8" x 43 3/4"
Twin- 51 5/8" x 55 5/8"
Twin- 51 5/8" x 55 5/8"
Twin- 51 5/8" x 55 5/8"
Twin- 51 5/8" x 55 5/8"
Single- 25" x 55 5/8"
Picture with Casements on Both Ends- 121" x 68"
Twin- 42 5/8" x 43 3/4"
Twin- 42 5/8" x 43 3/4"
Picture with Casements on Both Ends- 63 1/4" x 55 1/8"
Picture with Casements on Both Ends- 121" x 55 5/8"
Twin- 44 3/4" x 37 1/2"
Single W/ Privacy- 26 3/8" x 43 3/4"
Single- 30" x 42 1/4"
Single- 30" x 34 1/4"

I'm open to any recommendations and thanks in advance!

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Window Help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you take away the extremes, the truth is usually somewhere in between.

I think the 11K number is a joke given what I am seeing and so is the 36K number.

In order to get a bit more directed feedback, we need to know the install details as well as whatever details about the window options you can give.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Looks like 30 units + a 5 panel bay. As WoW said, some additional info on options and install details would help, but as a ballpark, a fair price for a very good product will probably fall somewhere in the $20's give or take... Like maybe at or a little under $20k on the low end if it is very basic, or pressing the $30k mark if there are a bunch of options and/or more complex install. Gorell and Simonton are decent, but in vinyl I prefer Okna/Himark, Sunrise or Softlite. If you are considering wood, Marvin is about as good as it gets. If you Marvin quote is falling in much under the top bid, then it is probably some pretty good pricing.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The models of each mfg that you looked at will help us to guide you in understanding the price spread.

TheWindowNerd

travis4710

#5 Post by travis4710 »

No special options, just casements with brown exterior and white interior. I quoted the Simonton reflections 5500, Marvin Integrity and I forgot what model the Gorell was. The Marvin quote come in at 17k including a 6' patio door. I contacted Okna but was told there is no dealer in my area. The territory manager from Sunrise has yet to respond to numerous emails I have sent over the last month, so I'm not interested in them. Also, theses prices were just for the windows, no installation. Thanks!

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Observations:
1) A brown ext with white int is actually a pretty pricey option with most manufacturers, particularly vinyl.
2) That Marvin price sounds very good (again, if you want wood), while that Gorell price is out of this world high if it does not include installation.
3) I believe that you are out of Windows on Washington's service area for "Installed" services, but given that you are not that far away, he may be willing to work with you on a "cash and carry" basis for the Okna product. It would be worthwhile to at least explore the option. :D ... That product is my preferred of that bunch by a healthy margin.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Was the Marvin quote for ALL Ultrex?

Since the prices you mention are product only, who is going to install them?

As HS said the split finish is a costly option. So how about the glass options for each, in other words what glass package is in each quote?

ThWindowNerd

randy

#8 Post by randy »

It's a shame you were treated that way by Sunrise, as their two-tone window is a co-extrusion and that's really nice, plus their casements are one of the better looking high performance options out there.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Randy is right on abot that.
I did a Sunrise casement project in the fall, split finish, turned out amazing.

TheWindowNerd....

travis4710

#10 Post by travis4710 »

I Spoke with John from Windows on Washington today and he quoted roughly 14k for Okna. Does that sound like a fair price and how is the Okna going to compare to my other options?

randy

#11 Post by randy »

I think John needs to double check his pricing and make sure he's got the right window count.

:lol: Just kidding, that seems like an incredibly fair price for a superior product.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

In the interest of full disclosure, let me just say that I've worked with WoW in the past and find them to be a top-flight organization.
Great product, great company, great price... Don't take my word for it though, all you need to do is compare it to the other quotes that you have received. The product and price will speak for themselves...
Compare the u-value, design pressure, and air infiltration ratings of all of your options and the picture will become more clear as it pertains to overall quality and performance are concerned. :D

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

HomeSealed wrote:In the interest of full disclosure, let me just say that I've worked with WoW in the past and find them to be a top-flight organization.
Great product, great company, great price... Don't take my word for it though, all you need to do is compare it to the other quotes that you have received. The product and price will speak for themselves...
Compare the u-value, design pressure, and air infiltration ratings of all of your options and the picture will become more clear as it pertains to overall quality and performance are concerned. :D
Very well said Brandon. WOW is a first class operation and OKNA manufacturers some of the nicest vinyl products I've encountered to date.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

John is fired.... :lol:

Just kidding of course.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that he was quoting materials only...I hope. :roll:

randy

#15 Post by randy »

Windows on Washington wrote:John is fired.... :lol:

Just kidding of course.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that he was quoting materials only...I hope. :roll:
You better hope. :lol:

If it was an installed price you would soon be out of business at those prices. But I would find a place for you here, if you'd move to Texas. :lol: