Simonton Prism Platinum vs. Softlite Imperial LS and Pro

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
n2photos

Simonton Prism Platinum vs. Softlite Imperial LS and Pro

#1 Post by n2photos »

As many prior to my post, I am now on info mental overload regarding window specs. Was close to moving on with Simonton and I decided to entertain Soft Lite based on feedback I've seen on this site. My choices have been -

**In my budget**
Simonton Prism Platinum (standard Intercept Spacer)
Soft Lite Imperial Pro (standard with Super Spacer)

**A little higher than my budget**
Prism Platinum (with Super Spacer upgrade) about 6% higher than my budget
Soft Lite Imperial LS (standard Intercept Spacer) about 8% higher than my budget
Soft Lite Imperial LS (with Super Spacer upgrade) about 12% higher than my budget

The Soft Lite Pro is a bit higher than the standard Prism Platiunum, but still within a reasonable cost. I like what I'm reading about the Imperial LS as it seems a new design that improves upon the SL Pro. I think both companies offer a solid product but wondering if Soft Lite LS would offer a marked difference in performance? Maybe I'm getting too caught up in the differences in the Intercept and Super Spacer as well as the diferences in 2 manufacturers. Does one option stand out over others or will the Soft Lite products offer a good reason to stretch my budget a bit?

Appreciate insights from those who handle these lines often.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Simonton Prism Platinum vs. Softlite Imperial LS and Pro

#2 Post by masterext »

I would pay the additional for the Imperial LS with super spacer. That said , even the soft lite imperial pro is a better product than the simonton based on all levels of performance.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't disagree there.

I prefer the LS out of that bunch as well at the higher number. If you must stay at the hard number, the Pro is a better window that the Prism Platinum in my opinion and looks a bit cleaner and nicer too.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree as well. All of those choices are solid, but only the Imperial LS is a "top tier" choice IMO. Perhaps you can negotiate with your contractor, but even if not, I'd pay the extra 8-12% for the LS on such a large purchase. If there is any way that you could line up samples of all 3 next to each other and look at and operate them, I think you'd agree.

n2photos

#5 Post by n2photos »

Thanks to you all. Very Helpful!

I am leaning more toward the Soft Lite so it's good to hear your reviews line up on that brand. I'm not opposed to stretching the budget if it's worth it. Two questions.

1) Is there enough diference in the performance to justify adding the super spacer to the Imperial LS? ( $405 separates the standard LS vs. the LS with SuperSpacer.)

2) About a $1000 diference in the PRO and the upgraded LS - is it far superior?

Thanks again!

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

I would spend the extra for the LS if it were my house. The LS has accounted for about 40% of all of the vinyl windows that I've installed since it's inception in 2006. Once of the things that I like about this window is the fact that has a well engineered frame and is built with pretty tight manufacturing tolerances. Very installer friendly.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with the rest of the pros.
You can also consider SS intercept for the LS.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

The important upgrade IMO is the structural difference you'll get by moving up to the LS. On the spacer, I'd really rather have either the SS intercept as Anthony mentioned, or the super spacer.... $400 is not insignificant, but it also depends on the qty of windows regarding whether or not it is worth it. For 4 windows, no. For 10, 15 or more, I'd be more inclined to go that route

n2photos

#9 Post by n2photos »

You guys were all great with advice a few weeks ago. I'm going to do the Soft Lite LS but have an option question. One dealer has offer the Solarban 70XL as a free upgrade if I go with the standard intercept spacer. I was looking more towards the super spacer as an upgrade for the LS windows. Would either Solarban 70XL or Super Spacer upgrade have a marked impact of heating / cooling costs?

Had not considered the Solarban in prior discussions, but since the front of our house really gets baked by the sun maybe it's a smart option?

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Where are you located? Recommendations on glass will depend largely on your region.

n2photos

#11 Post by n2photos »

NC ( middle of state)

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

In my opinion, solarban 70 is a good option for the southwest, Arizona, New Mexico due to its very low solar heat gain. for North Carolina, I would go with solarban 60 and super spacer.

n2photos

#13 Post by n2photos »

I'm not aware of Solarban 60 and it's not mentioned in the Soft Lite product brochure. Is that what the standard window comes with or is the 60 also an upgrade?

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is usually the standard...or was up until a while ago.

They may have shifted from 60 to 70 now.

Delaware Mike

#15 Post by Delaware Mike »

Still Solarban 60 on the LS or something exactly like it.