Best triple pane -- 2013 Intus... Schuco

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mulchie

Best triple pane -- 2013 Intus... Schuco

#1 Post by mulchie »

Hi, all: I haven't been able to find a search option here so I may be retracing old ground. We are doing a new build and looking for a very high insulation value window. Schuco and Intus are our first choices now. I am curious for any feedback from installers and users. Thank you.
(Vermont - zone 4b)

TheWindowNerd

Re: Best triple pane -- 2013 Intus... Schuco

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What material? pvc, upvc, clad wood, fiberglass
Style? DH, tilt n turn, casement

mulchie

#3 Post by mulchie »

anthony wrote:What material? pvc, upvc, clad wood, fiberglass
Style? DH, tilt n turn, casement
For cost, we're looking at PVC tilt and turn. Casement.
Also considering Bieber, but I don't think we distribute what we need in the US. And they are likely prohibitively expensive.
Fiberglass perhaps provides a less bulky alternative.
Thanks,

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

What type of numbers are you looking to get to?

You can get to a U-Factor of 0.17 with argon in some units that are out there and lower with krypton.

There are 5 layer glass systems that will get you near a U-Factor of 0.10 but they will usually be extremely expensive and likely not worth the additional investment as compared to spending that delta on other energy efficiency measures like insulation and air sealing.

mulchie

#5 Post by mulchie »

Windows on Washington wrote:What type of numbers are you looking to get to?

You can get to a U-Factor of 0.17 with argon in some units that are out there and lower with krypton.

There are 5 layer glass systems that will get you near a U-Factor of 0.10 but they will usually be extremely expensive and likely not worth the additional investment as compared to spending that delta on other energy efficiency measures like insulation and air sealing.
Just "good" numbers. We have r-40 in the walls and don't want to build what everyone so rightly calls "a submarine with screen windows".
Cost is a factor. So is bulkiness. Just really looking for some thoughts on Schuco, which seems to have mixed reviews, but perhaps only because of some dealership issues in the DC area.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't believe that Schuco is available in the US anymore.
+1 to WoW's comments.

mulchie

#7 Post by mulchie »

HomeSealed wrote:I don't believe that Schuco is available in the US anymore.
+1 to WoW's comments.
Yes, they are shipping from Germany via a new group of dealers I think.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

mulchie wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:I don't believe that Schuco is available in the US anymore.
+1 to WoW's comments.
Yes, they are shipping from Germany via a new group of dealers I think.

They are? Where did you get this information from ? Schuco stopped selling in the us about 4 years ago.
I'm curious to know about these " select dealers".

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If I was to look at an import I would consider something closer, InLine Fiberglass.
I have been involved using them on a couple of passive solar houses.

mulchie

#10 Post by mulchie »

anthony wrote:If I was to look at an import I would consider something closer, InLine Fiberglass.
I have been involved using them on a couple of passive solar houses.
A Boston-based group named YADO-DSI is importing them, I believe. I think the risky part here is the question of warranty issues and dealing with a company with a very small presence in the US.
I'll take a look at InLine. Any idea of a cost comparison, Anthony?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

mulchie wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:What type of numbers are you looking to get to?

Just "good" numbers. We have r-40 in the walls and don't want to build what everyone so rightly calls "a submarine with screen windows".
Cost is a factor. So is bulkiness. Just really looking for some thoughts on Schuco, which seems to have mixed reviews, but perhaps only because of some dealership issues in the DC area.
While I think they used to make a good window (haven't seen the new one) the manner in which they conducted and ceased their operations in the US previously leaves a bit to be desired.

They were actively pursuing dealers and trying to book new business when they knew they were being sold and/or going out of business in their US division is how I understand it.

Are you looking for vinyl, fiberglass, wood, etc?

Depending on what number and materials you are looking at, there are a myriad of stateside options and I would have to imagine that the mere shipping from Europe would drive the number higher than a locally sourced product.

Feel free to contact me with a take off list and what you are looking for and I can point you in the right direction.

mulchie

#12 Post by mulchie »

Thanks WoWash (my old home town!).
I agree regarding the cost of shipping from Europe and would like to hear your advice on US and Canadian suppliers who are reliable and can deliver a particularly good product. I think we are far out of your dealership's range, though and I don't want to waste your time.
I have seen plenty about Schuco's problems a few years ago and it really gives me pause. We're now looking at InLine (Canada) and Intus (supplier in Maine).
I think budget wise we are looking at fiberglass or PVC.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds good.

I wasn't speaking about us specifically but I can point you in the right direction or have them shipped depending on the where you are.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#14 Post by Window4U (IL) »

When Schuco was being made here they were my favorite window, but their warranty service was horrendous. To have to deal with Europe for their warranty parts would scare me to death.

Plus, it strikes me really wrong that they would sell windows here in the U.S. again after they stiffed all their previous U.S. customers on their warranties. :x

mulchie

#15 Post by mulchie »

I hear you on Schuco. Too big an investment to take a risk of this scope.
Wowash.. if you want to share some thoughts you can reach me at cmanego2020 on yahoo dot
That might be less cumbersome. I appreciate your advice here. But yes, we are too far out of your zone.