Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Replacement Window Question (Phila Suburbs)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:01 pm 

I purchased my home 2 years ago in Telford, PA and was told at the time of my home inspection that my windows would need replacement within a few years. I went to the Philadelphia Home Show this year admittedly knowing next to nothing about windows. As a result of the Home Show I had a sales person from Renewal by Anderson come to my house to measure my 13 windows (plus a sliding glass door) and provide a quote (1250/window). The quote was VERY eye opening to me (sticker shock). The sales person spent a decent amount of time telling me why Vinyl windows are horrible and giving me reasons to avoid them at all costs. After doing a bit of private research I have come to realise that the info I received was completely false.
I have come here seeking the advice of the experts. I am essentially just looking for a few brands/models that would be considered good "bang for the buck" windows. The only windows I have looked at outside of the Renewals was Infinity by Marvin which also seemed rather pricey (900-1000 a window). Can anyone suggest a few brands/models that would be less expensive than the two options I have reviewed so far, but would still provide me with good quality windows?
Thank you all in advance for your help!

Post subject: Re: Replacement Window Question (Phila Suburbs)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:43 pm 

In vinyl Soft-lite, Hi-Mark/Okna, and Sunrise are three great brands to consider.

There are two pros here - anthony & Delaware Mike that might service your area. Both are top notch professionals who can offer you premium products at prices that are far more reasonable than you've seen so far. I'd recommend hitting the "contact" button on one of their posts and seeing if you can get them out for an estimate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:34 pm 

Thank you Randy. I actually have a message out to Anthony and I am awaiting his response. I just figured I could ask for a few brands/models that I could start researching in the meantime. I appreciate the info!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:43 pm 

Anthony is a great guy and one heck of a contractor. keep us posted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:04 am 

Your home is only 35 miles from the Okna-HiMark manufacturing plant over in Bristol. I would second Randy's recommendations to take a look at those, especially in the 500 & 800 series.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 am 

Anthony should be pretty close to you and he is an authorized dealer for most of the better manufacturers out there regarding vinyl, wood, and fiberglass. He has quite a bit of experience with OKNA. Super nice guy and is extremely knowledgeable with a lifetime of experience. His installers are fantastic. You would be hard pressed to find someone with his credentials and value in the Philadephia region.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:34 pm 

Delaware Mike wrote:
Anthony should be pretty close to you and he is an authorized dealer for most of the better manufacturers out there regarding vinyl, wood, and fiberglass. He has quite a bit of experience with OKNA. Super nice guy and is extremely knowledgeable with a lifetime of experience. His installers are fantastic. You would be hard pressed to find someone with his credentials and value in the Philadephia region.

I don't think they could go wrong with you either Mike! I know you're just being nice.... :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:44 pm 

Thanks, Dave. Mike is in Dallas trying to install of his brother's windows and doors and is trying how not to get t-boned with all these service road freeway tie-in crazy yield signs. I'm a fish out water. Except for a Bass Pro Shop every 50 miles I'm not so sure about this place?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:12 am 

In vinyl I would look for a product that has an AI of .09 or less. Actually I suggest an AI of .05 or less. If doing double pane then an U = to or less than .26.
Two products that the other pros have mentioned that meet those specs are:
Soft-lite Imp LS & HiMark/Okna 800DX.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:32 am 

Dallas is a madhouse on the highways. :lol: The drives have very little patience with someone who's not familiar with the area too.

I'll be up there on Wednesday & Thursday of this week Mike, if you'll still be around by chance.