Preservation windows for Oklahoma home

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
chipper

Preservation windows for Oklahoma home

#1 Post by chipper »

I am looking for replacement windows for my 10 yr old house. I have a few windows where the seals are broken and there is condensation between the glass. I received an estimate for the 'Preservation' window from a local window company that has A+ ratings with the BBB. Are the Preservation windows a good window for the OK area? I have read that Preservation windows are also know as Alside windows, not sure why the different name.
I am looking at the white vinyl double hung windows with grids, E2 and argon gas. These are not the top of the line but next to the top. I have 15 windows to replace and several of them are approx. 36 width by 72 height. I received an estimate of $9,400, is that too much? They started out at $9,900 and told me that $9,400 is the best they can do. They also said vinyl is going up so the window prices will be going up this spring, does anyone know if that is a selling tactic or the truth?

Another company suggested Simonton windows and the cost would be approx. $5,000 but this company is not as reliable and employees are not trained window installers.

I have Sears coming out tomorrow to give me an estimate.

I'm so confused and don't want to pay too much for windows. Can anyone give this Okie some advice?
Thank you so much. :)

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Preservation windows for Oklahoma home

#2 Post by masterext »

Preservation is made by AMI materials which owns Alside. It is a step up from Alside no doubt but i cant get over the fact that they utilize a snap in sill. in other words, its not a welded sloped sill. why does this matter? a snap in sloped sill or pocket sill opposed to a welded sloped sill, has weep holes in which water drains through the frame. its a flawed design due to the potential for the weep holes to become clogged . its a real peoblem.
i would look at Soft Lite " Elements" , soft lite imperial LS, or Sunrise Vanguard. they are available in your area ( i think ).

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Well stated by masterext on all points. I'd give the edge to the Simonton product in this comparison, however the quality of the installation is extremely important, and at that price, the Simonton dealer in question does not sound like a credible option.
The pricing of that Preservation is what you could more reasonably expect for a quality product and install from a reputable company.
I'd add HiMark to that lost of excellent choices, however I don't believe that they are available that far West yet.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

I agree with my fellow pros on all points.

You can get some Soft-lite, Gorell and Sunrise in Oklahoma, all of which would be better options. I'd also see if you can get another quote with Simonton 5500 or 9800 and make sure they include the optional sash reinforcement.

chipper

#5 Post by chipper »

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

chipper wrote:
I have Sears coming out tomorrow to give me an estimate.
You have an interesting experience ahead of you tomorrow. Make sure you're sitting down and braced before he gives you the price.

....and please check back with us after the sales call.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Expand your search as referenced above.

I don't think the window referenced is bad, but there are better performing and engineered units.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, better by miles.