Champion Comfort Glass

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tbolen

Champion Comfort Glass

#1 Post by tbolen »

The Champion Sales rep finished his demonstration regarding the energy efficiency of their Comfort 365 Glass versus the "other guys" low E glass and triple pane. With the heat lamp and his BTU counter it really was an impressive presentation. Though it seemed a foolproof demonstration, I still don't want to play the fool and buy the snake oil if it's not truly effective. Anyone have any third party experience with their Comfort 365 glass and how it compares to low E and argon?

HomeSealed

Re: Champion Comfort Glass

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

tbolen, don't fall for the demonstrations, or even anyone's subjective opinion. When considering the glass performance, the U value and Shgc ratings will tell you all that you need to know. You want the u-value as low as possible, and the shgc is climate specific so it depends where you are located. You should also look at the structural ratings of the full window assembly including air infiltration and design pressure. Those 4 ratings are all independently tested, and will tell you how the window will ACTUALLY perform, and be an excellent indicator of quality as well... The companies that spend 2-3 hrs talking about bells and whistles rather than the actual ratings typically do so to distract you from the fact that they do not perform well in those areas. :wink:

tbolen

#3 Post by tbolen »

Thanks for the reply. It does make things simple to compare apples to apples I suppose. I appreciate the reminder.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Absolutely! ... You could take that heat lamp and put it on any window with a similar low-e coating and it will yield the same result. No special technology there, or anything like that. :)

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

It's not uncommon for certain sales outfits with twisted moral barometers to have their demo kits made up with outdated fictional IG's with single coat low-e from 20+years ago and try to say that's what everyone else is utilizing.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

I like the salesman that claim their proprietary glass package also reduces your risk of cancer and diabetes. I'm quite certain theres an old time tin man that used that line.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

masterext wrote:I like the salesman that claim their proprietary glass package also reduces your risk of cancer and diabetes. I'm quite certain theres an old time tin man that used that line.

I have had low-e windows for most of my adult life and I still developed diabetes. Never thought of holding the window manufacturer responsible. :roll:

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Diabetes one is a new one.

Gotta find that angle I guess.