Replacement Window Help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TheWindowNerd

Re: Replacement Window Help

#31 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Mid grade, mid performer.

travis4710

#32 Post by travis4710 »

What about the Soft-Lite pro series?

HomeSealed

#33 Post by HomeSealed »

Better. Personally, I'd go no less than the Imperial LS/Elements, but the Pro is about the best choice that you will find that is readily available from supply houses.

travis4710

#34 Post by travis4710 »

HomeSealed wrote:Better. Personally, I'd go no less than the Imperial LS/Elements, but the Pro is about the best choice that you will find that is readily available from supply houses.
Why do you recommend the Imperial/Elements over the Pro? I spoke with the area rep for Soft-Lite and was told there is no visible difference between the two in a casement window. Also, there doesn't seem to be a big difference in the NFRC ratings either. Am I missing something or are they pretty much the same window?

HomeSealed

#35 Post by HomeSealed »

That is correct as it pertains to casements. Softlite only makes one casement that they offer it with various weatherstripping profiles depending upon which line you are looking at. When you get to double hungs and sliders, there is a substantial structural difference that is not necessarily reflected in in the u value. Small differences in u factor, air infiltration, design pressure, etc can add up to a substantial difference in overall quality.

travis4710

#36 Post by travis4710 »

HomeSealed wrote:That is correct as it pertains to casements. Softlite only makes one casement that they offer it with various weatherstripping profiles depending upon which line you are looking at. When you get to double hungs and sliders, there is a substantial structural difference that is not necessarily reflected in in the u value. Small differences in u factor, air infiltration, design pressure, etc can add up to a substantial difference in overall quality.
So would there be any reason for me to not go with the pro? Also, would you recomend the SolarBan 70 for my windows? I'm in SW Virginia if that helps.

TheWindowNerd

#37 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would let WOW spec and supply the windows.
theWindowNerd...

Windows on Washington

#38 Post by Windows on Washington »

SW VA is still heating degree day dominated.

You should go passive solar on the South facing windows if you can and Solarban 70 on the other sides.

HomeSealed

#39 Post by HomeSealed »

travis4710 wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:That is correct as it pertains to casements. Softlite only makes one casement that they offer it with various weatherstripping profiles depending upon which line you are looking at. When you get to double hungs and sliders, there is a substantial structural difference that is not necessarily reflected in in the u value. Small differences in u factor, air infiltration, design pressure, etc can add up to a substantial difference in overall quality.
So would there be any reason for me to not go with the pro? Also, would you recomend the SolarBan 70 for my windows? I'm in SW Virginia if that helps.
If you are getting casements, the main difference is double weatherstripping vs triple. I'd agree with the above in regards to glass package.

Windows on Washington

#40 Post by Windows on Washington »

Travis,

Give me a call on Monday AM and lets get up to date with your DI-WoW project.