Simonton windows drafty?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
finornot

Simonton windows drafty?

#1 Post by finornot »

Getting closer on my window selection, I like the features and glass package on Simonton 9800. In doing my interenet research there are a few troubling threads on drafts, with some stateing that a chimney plug cures the issue? From what I understand this is a foam block installed in the balance channel? Are these threads legit? Are there issues with this window and drafts?

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton windows drafty?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

It is not the tightest window by any stretch and I have surveyed them for reported air leaks before. The draft blocks do help a bit but they will not make a leaky window tight.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Air tightness or the lack there of is the reason that I switched from S brand to other draft free brands.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Simonton have a rather high air leakage rate based on what I viewed on their website, so your drafts are not too surprising.

finornot

#5 Post by finornot »

Thanks for the replies, are the leaks generally from air intrusion thru the sill weep holes and up into the frame and balance channel or around the sashes? We are looking at double hung windows so I guess that does not help. I am in Fla so have also considered the PGT line, I would hate to pay a premium for the Simonton product only to end up with drafts which I don't have from my current builder grade single pane aluminum 20 year old windows :?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Strong company, decent product, but the ratings are what they are. It is not one of the top performers in the area of air leakage. Also kinda bulky and I've seen some fit and finish issues that I've not been crazy about either... Decent midrange choice when you opt for the higher end models, if you can get it at the right price. The chimney blocks do nothing for the manufacturing tolerances or overall "tightness" of any window.
I have not used PGT, but it is generally held in higher regard among discerning pros and has the AI ratings to prove it.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

You may want to take a look at the Gorell 5300 . I know that brand was used in Florida with a lot of success.

finornot

#8 Post by finornot »

masterext wrote:You may want to take a look at the Gorell 5300 . I know that brand was used in Florida with a lot of success.
I am actually waiting on a quote for the Gorell 5300 line but have been warned by the rep that due to a few geo archetecual windows in the house the quote will be considerably more than the PGT product he has already quoted.

masterext

#9 Post by masterext »

It's a better window and more solid than the pgt. In your climate( heavy windows) you want a well designed offering. Gorell 5300 will be a great choice.

finornot

#10 Post by finornot »

masterext wrote:It's a better window and more solid than the pgt. In your climate( heavy windows) you want a well designed offering. Gorell 5300 will be a great choice.
Hopefully I will be pleasantly suprised with the qoute, my parents went with the Gorells a couple years ago and are happy with them.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

I would say that Gorell and Pgt are two of the more solid choices that you have available down there. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Sunrise, HiMark, or Softlite(other than the Gorell line) are available down there... Are you in a coastal area? The 5400 Gorell is probably what you are looking at if that is the case.

finornot

#12 Post by finornot »

Our home is in a non impact zone. I have been told by one rep that Gorell has not tested or is not approved for a window over 60" in Fla? we have a 72" wide half circle that may make gorell not an option to us. It appears my options are PGT, Simonton, and Custom windows and doors(another fla made product that gets good local reviews). I received a quote for the simonton 9800 window with a laminated glass package at a premium of 30% over a PGT 2200 qoute with the 70xl glass package. The Simonton window has all the features where as the PGT window is a pretty basic model but has better performance #'s. If it were not for the draft concerns I would go with the Simonton window, but a difference of $4K and better DP and AI #'s has me leaning toward the PGT window. I am pretty comfortable with both of the installing companies so it really boils down to which window will better serve us.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

As I mentioned earlier, you could certainly do worse than Simonton, however I have become a big proponent of the performance ratings. They really provide you with a great way to compare products in an unbiased manner. Have you gotten the PGT quoted with those same bells and whistles so you can insure that the quotes are apples to apples?
On Gorell, I have sold/installed the product but not down in FL so I can't say whether or not the info that you have received on the testing is accurate or not. Was that given to you by the Gorell dealer? If so, I would guess that it is trustworthy. It would not benefit him in anyway to say that his own product is not certified under those circumstances.

finornot

#14 Post by finornot »

The rep is a Gorell dealer and is also the one we received the Simonton quote from. He stated that due to their volume with Simonton that we were getting the laminated glass package at no upcharge. The closest window in comparison that PGT makes is the 2300, it has a rolled screen frame in contrast to the Simonton extruded screen frame and also only comes in a equal leg(no flange or fin?) frame. The PGT 2200 series has a block and tackle balance vs. the 2300 and Simontons constant force system, is that a big difference in your opinion. The 2200 also is a much deeper frame at 4" vs. the 2300 and Simontons 3 and 1/4". The simonton also has the snap trim option that should give a nicer finished appearance? I am also waiting on another qoute from my PGT rep on the gorell 5300, so I should get a confirmation on the Gorell 60" size issue.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

either balance system is fine. Block and tackle typically last longer in test cycling.
Either is warrantied by the window warranty.
theWindowNerd...