Seeking Replacement Windows in Madison, WI area

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Windows on Washington

Re: Seeking Replacement Windows in Madison, WI area

#46 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good to hear.

Post up some follow up and pictures when you are done too!

kcascade

#47 Post by kcascade »

Thanks Windows of Washington! You were very helpful too!!

Good idea about the pictures ... it will be a while yet (probably Decemeber sometime), but I'll make a mental note to come back.

Scottg

#48 Post by Scottg »

I just found this site by chance and saw that my company was part of the conversation.
As one of the Companies that bid on this job for, I had to say something here.
The window I offered this person was on sale that month.
The U-Factor of .19 on this window that he said was "Allegedly .19" is actualy .19

I also noticed that there were no comments about the Vista window by anyone good or bad.
This window does out preform the Serious 501 window that he chose to go with.
I used to sell that window for Republic Windows when they were in buisiness so I hope all goes well with that window and his purchase.
I just wanted to cliarify the .19 U-factor issue as I seen it.

kcascade

#49 Post by kcascade »

The windows got installed last week. The look good so far, though the exterior screens are a bit of a different look compared to the lower level windows.

Scott, actually I think you are wrong. I have the email you sent me from 11/15/2011 at 10:18 p.m. You forwarded on what your rep sent you and this is what the chart said:
Double Hung = .2 u-factor, .25 SHGC
Tilt and Slie = .2 u-factor, .24 SHGC
now the picture window was a .18 u-factor, but I wasn't getting that one. So actually per that email you are wrong ... it isn't .19 ... I'm not sure where you got your .19 from, but I'm just quoting the numbers you gave me :?: !?!! :?:

Also, I asked for the CPD# so I could look it up myself and just to be safe, in case you couldn't provide that I was asking for the design pressure and air infiltration from my email to you on 11/14 at 9:34 p.m., and even earlier I asked for the CPD# on 11/13 at 2:14 p.m. and my original query to confirm the alleged .19 rating started on 11/12 at 6:15 p.m. but your forwarded email from the rep did not have any of that information. The fact that it came in .2 instead of .19 did help change my spreadsheet factors. If it is truly .19 you should have sent me that information ... or better yet just have given me the CPD# so I could look it up myself.

Another point I wasn't going to make until I saw your response tonight is this ... I know you were busy as was everyone at the time, however it took over 3 days to get the information I was seeking and in that time I lost a chance with one window option I was considering to have it done in 2011 (who incidentally never took more than a day and usually responded within hours to give me a solid response to a question I had). Not everyone, but many of the bids vying for my business were much more prompt (I did have one contractor get back to me about 2 weeks after I made my decision, but I knew I wasn't going with him as he couldn't get it done in 2011, so I won't say you are the only one that took some time getting back to me) ... so that had a small role in my decision making as well. I was impressed by your quote, but ultimately I went with the Serious 501 window. Yes, I do know that Republic used to sell that window and Serious bought them out, I did my research ... but Serious is a different company than Republic ... so saying they are going to end up like Republic did may not be entirely fair in my estimation.

Also, the resonse I got in emails with other window professionals (I don't think it was mentioned on this board) was that the tilt and slide, a feature you pointed out about your window is not so highly regarded by some of the windows professionals. At first I really liked the idea of the Tilt and slide, but as I researched it more I uncovered that there are some potential problems with maintenance on them (I believe it was something along the lines of when you have more moving parts you can potentially have more problems). I could have asked you more about that ... but I didn't want to wait another 3 days to get a response!

With all that said, I wish your business the best of luck. It was obvious from how busy you are that your business must be doing very well, and I applaud you.

Ultimately I'd like to say that when I took 8 bids ... there were going to be 7 losers ... and each loser is definitely going to swear their product is better than the one I chose ... but ultimately I had to make a choice and I did. So far I'm not disappointed ... and I appreciate your "hope" that all goes well, thank you.

Respectfully,
-ks

HomeSealed

#50 Post by HomeSealed »

Scottg wrote: This window does out preform the Serious 501 window that he chose to go with.
In what way other than u-value? .... Unfortunately there are many companies that will sell an inferior window (inappropriate shgc for the climate, inferior structural ratings) based purely on a u-value that is inflated by heavy dose of low-e, which can in fact be detrimental, and allow for comparisons of mediocre products to those of higher quality....
KS: congrats on the purchase and I'm glad that everything turned out well for you. :D

kcascade

#51 Post by kcascade »

Thanks HomeSealed!

fridge2020

#52 Post by fridge2020 »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5809
Looks like Serious lasted all of 8 wonderful, federally-funded years. Hopefully Kensington honors their warranty, although if they take a page out of the Softlite / gorell playbook, I wouldn't count on it.
Never was a fan.

fridge2020

#53 Post by fridge2020 »

kcascade wrote: Yes, I do know that Republic used to sell that window and Serious bought them out, I did my research ... but Serious is a different company than Republic ... so saying they are going to end up like Republic did may not be entirely fair in my estimation.
Appears fair at this point, :lol: .