install not replace - cut outside wall flanking fireplace

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MaggieMayTB

install not replace - cut outside wall flanking fireplace

#1 Post by MaggieMayTB »

North wall of ranch home - we want windows installed on both sides of fireplace. Inside our home, the windows would replace custom built in wood shelving over cabinets. Our exterior is vinyl(?) siding.

House built in 1990. We are second owners.

And like most posts we have read - we are overwhelmed.

So far, from the four companies, only one guy understood the complexity of a new window install and the hidden uncertainty behind the curtain. (behind the wall, I just wanted to use the curtain phrase.)

My question - What do we need to look for in a window and installer?
Do we need to move more to a company with a builder mindset?
**how do you recognize a builder mindset?

What do we need to be wary of on these informative sales visits?

Windows on Washington

Re: install not replace - cut outside wall flanking fireplace

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You don't need to hire a "builder" per say.

Some window installers have a working knowledge of framing and what you are proposing, minus some of the finish carpentry work, should be doable by a competent window/siding installer.

We cut holes in walls and frame out new openings on a fairly regular basis.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

This one is a little bit tricky, because you don't want a jack of all trades builder type that will miss details in a complex install such as this, but as you also may have already experienced, many window specialty companies just send out professional salesmen that have no idea what they are talking about.
I'd stick to reputable window companies, and when you call, make sure that you express the type of project that you have, and you want them to send somebody out that explain the technical ins and outs of what they propose.

MaggieMayTB

#4 Post by MaggieMayTB »

Wellington, Preservation, Stanek and a installer which came to give estimate but not much concrete information regarding product in our home.

The job has evolved / changed since we started on Tuesday.

Wrapping all windows and garage door trim to only the garage door trim.

Replacing storm in garage window and replacing window in bedroom on south wall.
We learned that the windows on the south wall should be different than those on north wall.

The room we plan to place the new install in already has two wood (Hurd) double hung windows. Wood is a feature in the room I would like to maintain and we have discovered it is expensive and limited in availability.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

MaggieMayTB wrote: We learned that the windows on the south wall should be different than those on north wall.
Maybe, maybe not. Depends where you are located, the orientation of the windows, landscaping, etc. If you are in a situation where you can take advantage of added passive solar gain, then yes, the south wall would be the spot to do so.
MaggieMayTB wrote: Wood is a feature in the room I would like to maintain and we have discovered it is expensive and limited in availability.
Expensive: Yes. Limited in availability? Not sure what you mean by that... Wood windows are now available in custom sizes and have a tremendous number of options available.

You might also consider expanding your product search to some additional products. The Stanek has some nice performance ratings, but the pocket sill on the double hung is undesirable (channels water, dirt, gunk, etc through the frame). Preservation is an Alside product and does the same.
Look for a product that has a u-value of .28 or lower in double pane, an air infiltration rating ideally lower than .05cfm, and a welded, sloped sill.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Both Stanek and Preservation have a pocket sill or snap in sill which is a major flaw in design that cause alot of problems. Wellington has a wood core ( strange).
Expand your search and look at some other offerings. Himark is a solid offering that is not only energy efficient but designed extremely well.
You may want to contact HomeSealed if you are in his area. He is an expert craftsman and extremely knowledgeable about windows. Search the board for his name and then click his contact button. Great guy and an excellent contractor.

MaggieMayTB

#7 Post by MaggieMayTB »

masterext wrote:Both Stanek and Preservation have a pocket sill or snap in sill which is a major flaw in design that cause alot of problems. Wellington has a wood core ( strange).
Expand your search and look at some other offerings. Himark is a solid offering that is not only energy efficient but designed extremely well.
You may want to contact HomeSealed if you are in his area. He is an expert craftsman and extremely knowledgeable about windows. Search the board for his name and then click his contact button. Great guy and an excellent contractor.
After some research on this site, contacting Homesealed appears to be a good strategy.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, Brandon and the team at HS are great.
Nice guy, super fussy, knows the critical things in our industry.

theWindowNerd...

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Without hesitation, question, or trepidation....HomeSealed would be the person that I would use.

You can be assured that you will get one of the best products on the market coupled with The Best install.

Brandon is an honorable person and character, honor, and integrity are probably as important as any singular trait in a contractor.

MaggieMayTB

#10 Post by MaggieMayTB »

Hello, I apologize for not reporting the results.

I was reminded today after I tossed stacks of information away.

I now have two windows flanking my fireplace.
We hired Homesealed.

I want to state to ANYONE in the Milwaukee area...including surrounding area.
Get your quotes.
Allow the circus into your home.

This industry is ruthless and the guys YOU invite into your home with be ruthless.
I listened to backstabbing.
Slander.
Lies.
False promises.
Etc...giving examples will make me just as guilty as men I just discribed.

We would hire them again. (I do have a honey-do list.)
Our next project will be inside to make our home "accessible".
I have MS and my future mobility is uncertain.

Call Homesealed.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Glad to hear about the update.

Brandon (i.e. HomeSealed) is one of the rare ones out there.

Glad to hear that he got you fixed up!!!

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Thanks for posting back Maggie (and Tom)! It was a pleasure working with you guys --even considering all of the hoops that we had to jump through with the city :lol: .
Great to hear that you are enjoying the new windows. :D