Windows Decatur Alabama

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Bayamon62

Windows Decatur Alabama

#1 Post by Bayamon62 »

I have had quite a few quotes for 11 double hung windows , Gutter-Guard from Birmingham Al. started their quote by saying ..." our windows run about 1k apiece "... it took me less than 30 seconds to get him out my house ,He was selling Soft-Side windows which i taught were good windows , but not at that price , i have two local contractors quote Wincore 5400 one quote is $4k the other i think is pretty good at $3.5k, both also quoted the Simonton 5050 one at $3.8k the other at $3.6K, i had quotes from Window World $3.5k, Window Depot $3.4 after some serious haggling, Lowe's quoted Pellas 350 $5.9k and Home Depot Simonton 6100 $5k.

So i am wore out , had enough, i am going with the Wincore 5400 for $3.5K unless i am missing something ,
i need a contract signed before April 2 , so your help and input is much appreciated , Thanks .

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows Decatur Alabama

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think you are right on track.

Given those options...the Wincore 5400 is the best of the bunch and at that price.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree, both windows are solid, and from solid manufacturers (Simonton even more so). That said, if you are worried about warranty, I would assume that you are also looking for a solid installation company that will do a quality install and be around for years to come to service you. At a little over $300 per window, that is not going to happen. Without getting into too many details, that is less than the direct cost of material and installation for an established company, not to mention all of the other overhead costs like a location, insurances, advertising, etc, etc... I'm not saying that you need to pay $1k per window by any means, but $300 is at the other end of the spectrum. High risk IMO.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I somewhat breezed over that point. :shock:

While I would fully agree that the cost of doing business in some areas is less, I still am not sure how anyone could do a project that they would plan to service after they fact at that number.

Thanks for that catch HomeSealed.

Bayamon62

#5 Post by Bayamon62 »

thanks for your reply ,I will agree with some analysis on the costls I am Not sure if the difference in prize is because the contractor and my wife are friends maybe that plays a role in to his priceI feel confident that the installation will be will perform and I will provide follow ups once a job is done

Bayamon62

#6 Post by Bayamon62 »

I think you guys are missing a point when it comes to price ,my house here in Decatur which is only worth 150,000k will be a 500,000 dollar house in DC or New Jersey the repair price in a lot of places is based on the value of a home hey window installer in the seat maybe getting 40 dollars an hour here in Decatur he maybe getting 15 dollars an hour quite a bit of difference when it comes to labor costs....

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Your points do have some validity bayamon, however the costs involved have nothing to do with the home's value, and they are really more dependent on the size and business model of a given company than their regional location. The cost of the window is going to be the same everywhere, and the installation costs are not going to vary quite as much as you might think.
If it is a "friend" type of deal, and the owner of the company is doing the install himself (or someone doing it as a "side job"), that could explain the very low price. Otherwise something like that from an established company is probably going to be more like $500ea, or more depending on options, etc.
Just remember that just because he is a friend (or friend of a friend), that doesn't mean that he is a smart business owner and will be around in 5 or 10 years for warranty service. Manufacturers warranty parts, not installation of those parts.

Bayamon62

#8 Post by Bayamon62 »

thanks for the insight on my project , Even using a TVA (Tennesse Valley Authority) certified contractor the price for windows in this area are from $350 to $400 per unit installed for Both Wincore 5400 and Simonton 5050....also currently we have two rebates which will help on the total cost , the TVA rebate requires the work to be inspected by one of the TVA energy inspectors to insure the job meets their criteria , contractor has to agreed to repair any deficiencies found by the inspector to retain his qualification in the program ....so it provides double assurance for the home owner ... we already had our Energy audit from TVA which qualifies us for a rebate, Tuesday we have a NEXXUS energy audit which also provides another rebate.

So Tomorrow is signing day, i liked the Wincore 5400 , welds seam a little cleaner when i compared them side by side , i think performance wise they both meet the Energy star qualification with Low E and argon.....Any final toughts ?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

the simonton 5050 is their very low end offering.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Just because it is energy star does not mean it is a window you should use.
Simonton minimum should be 5500.
You really should compare the AI and DP numbers for each window considered.

theWindowNerd...

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

For the price you could certainly do worse than the wincore. Sounds like a good deal, and those rebates are a nice bonus.