Stucco flange on siding--installation help please

For those self-installers
selfinstaller

Re: Stucco flange on siding--installation help please

#16 Post by selfinstaller »

Thanks, Eric. I've sent a message again. Thanks too for giving me the title of my first ever country, fugitive-from-the-law song in your earlier post. "Get a gun and don't look back." I love it! :D

selfinstaller

#17 Post by selfinstaller »

Okay. Hopefully this will be the final question. The new windows are set to be delivered in a couple of days, but I won't begin work until May or so. As I've said, the existing windows have aluminum frames and appear to have been built by the (now defunct) Linford Brothers company. I'm assuming they have a nail fin. Would the experts agree with this? And does anyone have an idea of how wide this fin would be? Thanks in advance.

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most likely have a fin if they were new construction.

Fin depths vary from window to window but if you said between 1.5" - 2.5", you would probably cover 99% of them.

I will check and see if the office got the check and get that foam gun in the mail to you.

Eric :D

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Usually the fin is the same lentgh on all sides, but not always.
I would sart with 1.5" and cut wider if needed.

theWindowNerd

selfinstaller

#20 Post by selfinstaller »

Thanks, guys. I'll start with 1.5 inches and work my way out from there. Eric, I'm starting to see the wisdom for your installation method (i.e. new construction windows with a nail flange). I've been reading about compression and sealants, and it seems the best way to create compression is screws straight thorough the flange rather than on the sides of the window. I still might try this with my stucco flanges, followed up with flashing, a drip cap, and some trim.

Re the gun, I think the check went out on Tuesday, so if it's not there it should be soon.

selfinstaller

#21 Post by selfinstaller »

Thanks again for all the help here. I'm going to stop promising that my next question will be the last. I have the windows in my garage now, and I'm starting to think more carefully about how to do the installation. (I know, this is completely backwards.) I will have to remove the aluminum frames, and I think I can do this without disturbing the siding. The question now is installation method. Here's what I'm thinking.

My first preference in terms of ease and aesthetics is to do the following. Hear me out, and then please tell me the numerous reasons why it's a bad idea. Upon removing the frames I would install the windows directly to the siding using OSI quad or something like it. I would likely put screws through the flange and into the siding/house. Then I would add some flashing around it and finally I would cover up the flashing with some trim (which would also be sealed). I would likely angle the top of the trim down to encourage water to flow away from the house. The final product would be trim over siding, which I think violates some guidelines about dealing with water, but to be honest it seems to be quite a common practice around here. This method would allow me to avoid having the windows set too far back, and it would actually look nice (I think) because the trim would come up almost to the edge of the flange's bull nose. It would also allow me to re-use the trim on the front of the house (the back has no trim). I suspect you'll tell me that flashing on the outside of siding is never a good idea, but until I hear it from you I won't know why this is the case.

The other approach would be to cut back the siding and install the windows with flashing, drip cap, and trim. This is the method WoW suggested. I guess the advantage here would be that the windows would be recessed, which would help with water infiltration issues. The question about this, though, is how far out would I have to cut for proper flashing? And upon cutting, how would it be trimmed out? Finally, I'm not sure it would allow me to re-use the trim on front since it would essentially create pockets between the trim and the flange (if this makes sense).

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for your help.

Windows on Washington

#22 Post by Windows on Washington »

Your foam gun should have gone out Friday.

Email me some pictures of your home and let me get a gander at them.

selfinstaller

#23 Post by selfinstaller »

Eric,

I've just sent them via email. Thanks on the gun. Will let you know when it arrives.

Windows on Washington

#24 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds good.

I am taking a look at the pictures now. You have a mixture of applications in the pictures.

selfinstaller

#25 Post by selfinstaller »

Ha! No kidding. :lol:

selfinstaller

#26 Post by selfinstaller »

Just wanted to extend public thanks to both WoW and HomeSealed for so patiently answering my installation questions via email. You guys are absolutely the best!!! If anything goes wrong with install at this point, I clearly only have myself to blame. Thanks again, guys! :D

Windows on Washington

#27 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good luck with the install.

I think you are going to do a great job. Start slow and get you feet wet on a small one that is on the rear of the home and go from there.

:D :D :D

HomeSealed

#28 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, start in an inconspicuous area as a "guinea pig" of sorts. The first one or two will feel like they take forever, but you'll fly through the rest once you get a good system going. :D

selfinstaller

#29 Post by selfinstaller »

Thanks, guys. I'm actually excited to get started now! Just need warmer weather. And a bit more time...

selfinstaller

#30 Post by selfinstaller »

I thought I should close out this thread with a finished product. It was a massive project, but I'm happy to say it is FINALLY done. I've posted some before/after pics. Thanks again to all the experts here, especially WoW and HomeSealed, for your input. Couldn't have done it without you guys... and my generous friends. Needless to say, many lunches (and a few beers) were purchased as part of the project.
Attachments
Before 3.jpg
(147.68 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
Before 2.jpg
(149.75 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
Before 1.jpg
(149.16 KiB) Downloaded 449 times