Are there home inspectors specially trained in windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BRUUUUCE

Are there home inspectors specially trained in windows?

#1 Post by BRUUUUCE »

I've tried everything to try and resolve the botched installation job at my house with the contractor to no avail, so it looks like i need to take him to the equivalent of small claims court here in New Jersey. I'll need an expert opinion to back my claims and photos. I've asked the companies and contractors who we've spoken to to redo the job and none of them want to get involved, so I guess I need to hire a home inspector? Or is there some equivalent? Someone specially trained in windows (and their installation)?

Suggestions?

windowman736

Re: Are there home inspectors specially trained in windows?

#2 Post by windowman736 »

What are your issues with the work you had done? Pictures would help to offer you some guidance.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

Many areas have a local Lawyer Referral Service that allows you a consultation with an attorney either for free or for a very small fee. I would take advantage of this and ask the attorney what he would do if he was handlng your case. He may have a list of experts and he could refer you to one of them. Don't expect and expert to show up in court for free though. Many have a set charge just to show up whether they testify or not.

Your best friend is going to be a camera. The times I have been in small claims court, the Judge has been sincerely interested in seeing photos. Just document everything you plan on presenting to the Judge and don't add your own opinion. Stay focused on the facts. The Court always favors the homeowner in disputes like this. Your biggest issue is going to be trying to collect once you (hopefully) win a judgement.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Have you thought of arbitration through the NARI or BBB? Particularly if you go through NARI, you'd have other industry experts and professionals involved in the process. If he is not a member of NARI, you could try the BBB. Might not be a bad idea prior to going legal.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Usually a home inspector would not catch any window problems unless they were blatantly obvious. They typically are not well versed in window installation procedures.
I would be going after the company you had the contract with. You could maybe contact the State Attorney General as well as Department of Labor.