Xact 1650 vs Alside Excalibur?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
transistor1

Xact 1650 vs Alside Excalibur?

#1 Post by transistor1 »

Hi -

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the difference between the Xact 1650 and Alside Excalibur windows? I don't know much about windows, but got 2 bids for replacement windows. One guy said he was going to use the Alside Excalibur, and the other guy said the Alside were cheap windows and he used the Xact 1650.

I'm not sure if the 2nd guy is being dishonest to try and get the job, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me which is better.

Thanks!

Delaware Mike

Re: Xact 1650 vs Alside Excalibur?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm going to highly recommend that you expand your search beyond entry level low-grade vinyl windows which is exactly what both of those series are. In this industry you get what you pay for material wise. My real question is what legitimate trade professional recommends such product lines?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Have you looked at anything else and can you get some other quotes?

Where is the home located?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

I strongly agree and i also strongly recommend that you expand your search .
Xact ( MI ) is very low quality and so is the Alside excalibur. Both are poorly designed and leak air. I also question the legitimacy of any contractor that recommends a bottom of the barrel window. These windows are just as bad as silverline.
The first guy was correct, Alside are not good but Xact are just as bad, if not worse.

Alot of contractors are more concerned with putting in the cheapest product because their margins are higher and they also have a better chance of getting the job from an "uninformed customer" who knows nothing about windows and just concentrates on the cheapest price.

transistor1

#5 Post by transistor1 »

Thank you all for the quick replies!

We are pretty clueless with this stuff. Really just looking for good prices. One of the guys my brother had used and was happy with. The other guy i found on Angie's list and he had an A rating.

@Windows on Washington - its in Northern NJ.

Do you guys have any recommendations on relatively low cost vinyl replacement windows? Googling seemed to show that Gorell was pretty good but I dont know if that is a brand that is even an option in my area, because none of the guys seem to offer it.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Being located in New Jersey, there's only one guy that I would trust with my home.

Masterext is awesome and if you check the feedback on him it echoes that sentiment.

In terms of good windows to look at, I would start with the core group of well regarded windows: Soft-Lite Elements, Okna, and Sunrise Vanguard/Verde/Restorations.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to all of the above. Masterext is the guy that you want to talk to in NJ. VERY picky, super knowledgeable, great guy.... and if you couldn't tell by his posts, he is not wishy-washy when it comes to quality. The brands listed by Windows on Washington are top of the line and highly recommended.

transistor1

#8 Post by transistor1 »

Thanks guys !

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Btw, you can hit that "Get a quote" button by his name if you'd like to contact him. :mrgreen: