Installation of fixed double pane glass in a PVC frame

For those self-installers
RbcPry

Installation of fixed double pane glass in a PVC frame

#1 Post by RbcPry »

I have a 12 inch high x 72 inch wide fixed glass (double pane insulated glass) transom above my exterior double French doors. My problem is that due to my inattention to a water leak, the wooden frame for my transom window has rotted to the point where it cannot be repaired with an epoxy patching product. I am in the process of addressing the water leak that caused this problem; however, my question concerns whether or not it is possible to replace the wooden window frame with a PVC material (the frame is located in an exterior brick wall and is 4 9/16 inches wide). My concern is whether my attempt to reinstall the double pane, insulated glass in a new PVC frame would result in air leakage.

HomeSealed

Re: Installation of fixed double pane glass in a PVC frame

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Anything can be done, however it will be very difficult to achieve a well-sealed window unit with a nice fit and finish that will last any amount of time. IMO, your best bet will be replacement. Anything else is nothing more than a band-aid.

RbcPry

#3 Post by RbcPry »

Your response pretty much verifies what I was afraid of--reuse of the existing double pane glass is not a good idea. With that issue resolved, my next problem becomes how to obtain a replacement transom that matches (as close as practical) the double French door below the transom. The existing transom (and its associated door unit) have a white grillwork installed between the two panes of glass. Any recommendations as to whether it would be preferable to try to locate someone locally to make this transom, or would it be better to try to locate a transom from an on-line supplier. Going back to the original manufacturer (Peachtree Doors and Windows) is not an option, because my understanding is that they are out of business, and all of their assets have been liquidated.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Peachtree was a relabeled Weathershield product. I'm not sure if they still sell under the peach tree name, but to my knowledge Weathershield is still making product despite the recent turmoil.
Can you take a pic of the damage? If it is on brickmold or the sill nose it is possible that it could be repaired... Just not advisable if it is into the frame itself.

RbcPry

#5 Post by RbcPry »

I ended up contacting Weathershield when I attempted to reach Peachtree Doors and Windows through their website (I was automatically routed to Weathershield). The personnel at Weathershield provided a couple of options--none of which are viable. They:
1. Suggested contacting PWD Service or All About Doors. PWD Service explained
that they only carry weatherstripping and door sweeps for Peachtree Doors. I
have not been able to get All About Doors to respond.
2. After conveying this information to Weathershield, they said that they had
nothing comparable to replace my transom with and recommended replacing the
entire door unit and transom.
I am not certain how to attach a picture so I will attempt to explain the damage:
The upper left corner of the transom frame (which is wood) has rotted. The rot
extends at least 2 inches into the frame (toward the glass), and approximately 8-
10 inches left to right along the frame. The rot is completely through the 5/4 board
used for the frame top and is also in the vertical portion of the frame on the left
side--it extends down from the corner (the corner itself is also rotted). I am not
entirely certain of how much more of the frame on the left side is rotted, because I
stopped excavating after seeing how extensive the rot is.
I have used Epoxy materials (Elmer's, etc.) to repair wood rot in door and window frames before with very good success; however, this appears to be too extensive to make a repair that looks like it was never repaired. Also, the complicating factors are the frame's corner that has rotted; as well as, I really do not know how much further the rot extends.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I agree with HomeSealed.

Putting a re-used IGU back in there is probably flawed logic. I wouldn't count on that seal holding up for that much longer.

You could re-build the opening and get a sash pack type or replacement if you wanted to go that route.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Most manufacturers would call it a deadlite (sash without a full frame)... That said, by the time you build the frame and order a deadlite, you may have been better off just getting the new window when you consider the investment of your time...
What exactly is it about this particular window that you dont think that you'll be able to match? If it is the grid pattern, that should not be a concern. Pretty much every manufacturer will offer grids between the glass in either a flat bar or contour style, and can do custom arrangements. A slightly different frame profile will be no big deal, so all that is really left is the color. Again, most manufacturers will offer similar colors, it might just stick out a little bit because it is new.
My recommended course of action at this point would be to call a window installation company and have them come out and take a look. They can give you a better idea of what can and cannot be done by examining the situation first hand.

RbcPry

#8 Post by RbcPry »

Thank you both for your help with my problem. I really have not done much checking as to whether or not a replacement transom is available from another manufacturer other than my conversation with Weathershield. I do not want to go the route of replacing the entire door/transom unit if another option is viable. At this point I was trying to decide whether or not to try building a transom frame out of PVC and reinstalling the existing insulated glass. That is something I had done when I was much younger (i.e. building a wooden window frame for a fixed single pane glass window); however, I was not certain if this was possible with insulted double pane glass. From the comments in this forum--I now know not to even attempt this.
This now leaves me with two remaining options:
1. Check to see if any friends or neighbors have experience with a window installation
company in my area (about 35 miles south of Atlanta, Ga.).
2. Check online to see if I can locate a manufacturer with a similar type transom that
I can install. (To answer your question--my transom is not really that unique--the
frame is wood--painted white, and the grid between the panes consists of five
vertical white flat plastic bars about 5/8 inch wide and 1/8 inch deep.)
Again, I really appreciate the advice and the recommendations. They have been a tremendous help in helping me narrow down my choices.

samitn

#9 Post by samitn »

IMO, your best bet will be replacement. Anything else is nothing more than a band-aid.
HostGator DreamHost Bluehost