Opinion On Alside Insignia E2 Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
miller21

Opinion On Alside Insignia E2 Windows

#1 Post by miller21 »

I have an appointment with Apex Energy Group for replacing 19 casement windows. Their literature shows that they use Alside Insignia E2 windows, which is a triple pane window which appears to be a relatively new manufactured window and for which I can't find a lot of information on.

I sent an e-mail to their sales rep with several questions, including asking for the NFRC code and they provided me with ALS-A-29-00458-00006, which is for a double hung window made by Alside, not a casement window. I am guessing that the ratings for a casement window would be different than a double hung window, and have asked to get the correct NFRC code and have not yet received it from them.

I haven’t seen a lot of good comments about Alside, and nothing shows up on any web searches for the Alside Insignia E2 window. Does anyone have any knowledge on the quality of this window?

The Apex Sales pitch from the cold call was that they would provide free installation and about a 25-30% discount on the windows as part of their “promotional program”. Being leery of salemen in general and knowing Apex is the middleman between the window manufacturer and installer, it is in their best interest to provide a proposal to max out their commission. With these being triple pane windows, I suspect they will try to play up the fuel savings advantages of the triple pane, but I am highly confident that the extra window cost does not have anywhere near a reasonable payout based on natural gas cost savings. Based on their promotion of free installation, 25-30% discount on windows, what do you think a reasonable cost range would be for the replacement of the 19 casement windows?

Thanks!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Opinion On Alside Insignia E2 Windows

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I can't find any info on their casement on their website except for a line drawing. The crosscut of their new Insignia double hung window looks like the best thing I've ever seen from Alside so they might finally have something I'd call a decent window.
I'd like to see more than just a picture of a crosscut though before I can review it one way or the other. Some performance sheets would be helpful.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Based on the pic, it seems to be a welded sloped sill. The window seems decent to me at first glance with some good features. I also tend to think this window is only available to a few select dealers.
Need to see the performance numbers such as :
air leakage, DP Rating, and total Ufactor.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

If they are all casements, the sill concerns are largely moot.

The performance numbers on them are pretty good at a U-Factor of 0.18. That being said, there are better numbers out there in Krypton and similar numbers in argon.

Casements are great operators and should be largely air tight even when comparing brand to brand. Where the casements get differentiated is with the narrowness of the profile, locking mechanism, overall strength, and look.