Help, got 6 quotes and don't know who to trust in Dallas, TX

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
quadcity

Help, got 6 quotes and don't know who to trust in Dallas, TX

#1 Post by quadcity »

Hello,

First, thanks in advance for your help and replies.

I need to replace at least 20 windows in my home that was built in 2002. 14 are in a two story family room where the bottoms are about 32x96 (6 total) and the tops are shorter but have an extended quarter eyebrow running left to right across the 4 windows (8 total on 2 walls). There are 3 in the game room with a similar eyebrow pattern but shorter and also a 24x24" round. I have 2 basic windows in the media room. All are single hung except the round and the 8 top picture windows in the family room.

I have gotten 5 quotes so far and another is due tomorrow as he was just out this afternoon. The prices range from crazy to I don't really know what is a good price. My criteria are a good warranty covering labor for both the window and the installer as well as good U-factors and SGHC. All the quotes have similar windows specs with U-factors near .30 (+- .2) and SGHC near .21 (+- .2). I also prefer a BBB company with an A rating, both installer and window mfg.

Almost all the sales guys say the same thing, so who can I trust? Do you have any thoughts on these companies and the windows they offered? All prices below are per window average.

Americas Choice Windows and the Vista Window Company; Panorama Window System – Seems to be a newer install company and the quote was between $500 and 600 for the 20 windows. This includes a rainX type of clean glass.
Champion Windows and their own windows – Seems to have been around a long time, 60 years and the quote was between $900 and 1000 for the 20 windows.
Town and Country Windows and Maritech 45 series – Smaller local company and I am not sure of the window quality. The quote was between $500 and 600 for the 20 windows.
Window World and “AMI” windows – Everyone’s favorite and “AMI special windows just for WW”. The quote was between $600 and 700 for the 20 windows. This includes a rainX type of clean glass.
Chenaults window services and “Home Craftsman” windows by Ply Gem – Smaller install company and hard to say about windows. The quote is coming but I expect it to be between $400 and 600 for the 20 windows.

Also, is the rainX clean glass useful or like undercoating on a car, i.e. an easy way to make money for the installer? Chenault’s told me it was a waste of money.

FYI, I am in Rowlett if that matters any.

Thanks,

Quad

Windows on Washington

Re: Help, got 6 quotes and don't know who to trust in Dallas, TX

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paging Randy...

Quadcity,

Randy (regular poster on this forum) knows the Dallas and Texas market like the back of his hand being based out of Houston (but also servicing Dallas).

I am sure he will be by shortly and have a bunch of good information for you.

Eric

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

=2
I would surely contact Randy.
Super great trust worthy guy, has all the right products for there and nobody installs like his team.

theWindowNerd...

randy

#4 Post by randy »

No need to contact me. Since you already have six quotes you don't need one more.

None of the quotes you've received are crazy with the sizes of windows you have. In fact, most of the windows you've looked at are lower end products and the pricing isn't out of line for the quality of product you're looking at.

Of the quotes you've received, Vista is probably the best of the bunch.

Home Craftsman and Maritech are both low-end windows with thin flimsy frames.

Window World, I could never recommend because of the product they offer and the way they pay their installers.

As to the Rain X glass, it's not necessarily a waste of money, it's just not self cleaning as some people seem to think. It will be easier to clean, and will stay cleaner than ordinary glass, but you will still have to clean it occasionally.

quadcity

#5 Post by quadcity »

Thanks Randy!

I wish I had found this site a few weeks ago... :x

Are you familiar with America's Choice Windows who has the Vista? They started in Dec of 2009, so I don' have a lot of data on them. They are BBB A- rated and Vista is A+, if that matters. Their warranty is weird, it says "all inclusive lifetime" but a few lines later it says 50 years. 50 years is plenty long enough but it is just weird how they do it. Also, as a newer company I worry they might not be around to warrant anything. FYI< these are the guys in Val Pak that advertise 10 windows for $3280 or $328 apiece. I did confirm with the sales guy that the majority rest of my windows would be $328, as we are considering doing the whole house.

Randy, I am curious what brands you sell and their warranty and your company name and its warranty. I am not against getting another quote if I could do it this week and make my decision by early next week. I am worried about price like most, but want to feel I can trust the installing company so I don’t have issues down the road. Chenaults is a recommendation from a friend of mine and that is why they even made the list. I would not have known about them based on my initial searches.

One issue I have found is that many of the “better” mfgs do not have windows big enough for the lower 6 in my family room. Simonton Reflections are like this and I was told I had to get Simonton Pro Finish for them. The Simonton quote, from T and C was between $700 and 800 for the 20 windows. I did not mention this at first as I was not a fan of having to mix the models. I mention it now as I think Simonton is a better window than most I have listed, save for Vista perhaps?

Regards,

Quad

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

You have alot of quotes and most of those windows are low end with vista probably being the best. Its a shame you didnt contact Randy, he has superior products and does one of the best installations i know of; not to mention he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

randy

#7 Post by randy »

I am not familiar with America's Choice, but the Vista window is again the best of the bunch. Simonton would be a good choice as well, as would Don Young or NT. Just do yourself a favor and stay away from Maritech and Home Craftsman.

The rules of the board prohibit naming my company, and there's no way I could get with you in time anyway, as I'm booked out on appointments for the next six to eight days.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

You'd be alot easier to find if your user name included the name of your company,But an ultra quick search would yield the same results.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:You'd be alot easier to find if your user name included the name of your company,But an ultra quick search would yield the same results.

:lol: :lol:

You are on your game today buddy!

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

It's been a couple of years since I've ordered anything from Vista as their products are pretty basic. I will say this about them, I've never had a single call back regarding a problem with them. Their DH sashes are some of the easiest to raise and lower out there.