Exact Windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
adkins VA

Exact Windows?

#1 Post by adkins VA »

I have been pricing replacement windows in the Tidewater, VA area. One company showed me a window that I am interested in, but I haven't been able to find information on the manufacturer. The representative stated that they were by Exact. Has anyone heard of this window manufacturer? If so, are there any opinions as to their quality?

Scott1q1

#2 Post by Scott1q1 »

The parent company is Mi home products. They make mostly cheaper new construction products and in my experience have really poor quality control.

The windows look nice and they have a good warranty, which you will probably be grateful for. I installed them for a short time and had a truly amazing amount of service work.

I think the worst was the time I had to replace 32 out of 40 sashes in a house of double hungs, but I'd have to give it a lil thought, there were some pretty trying days during that time period.

I have to say they were very nice people and will send you parts till the cows come home.

Thinking about it reminds me too that their picture windows leaked badly, water would siphon from outside around the glass pack and bubble out into the house, hopefully they have fixed this problem by now tho.

adkins VA

#3 Post by adkins VA »

Scott1q1, thank you so much for the information. One of the windows I would be replacing is a picture window...so you saved me some heartache. Buying replacement windows is a lot more difficult and frustrating than I thought.

Do you have any recommendations on moderately priced windows for this area?

adkins VA

#4 Post by adkins VA »

I forgot to mention that I did go to the website for the parent company. They have a Good Housekeeping Seal and are Energy Star compliant. Do you suppose these are signs that they have upgraded the quality of their workmanship?

Scott1q1

#5 Post by Scott1q1 »

I really am not familiar at all with your area, just would recommend the standard get a few estimates and go look at some jobs the companies you narrow it down to have done.

I feel its safer to buy from large manufacturers that have been around a long time, more than once I've been a dealer for a regional company and had warranty problems because they made changes to the business or even went out of business.

Simonton and Alside are good examples of large stable companies that have a wide product selection and generally are a good value pricewise(for the dealer at least!), and theres probably several other good national brands available to you.

As far as wether xact has improved no idea, they would have to give them to me for me to use them and thats probably not gunna happen!

There was a thread going a bit ago where people were asking what makes a good window/bad window. The componants are obviously important but just as important is the mindset of the manufacturer.
In my experience window companies that focus on the replacement industry have much better systems in place to put out a quality product, every time.
The silverlines and mi home products of the industry are huge and have alot of money to put into developing great products, but when you pull them off the truck alot of times they aren't quite what you were expecting.

adkins VA

#6 Post by adkins VA »

Thank you so much for the information... :)