HELP!!! SO CONFUSED

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
lido

HELP!!! SO CONFUSED

#1 Post by lido »

I've rec'd 3 estimates for double hung vinyl replacements windows and am more confused than ever. I'm looking to replace 13 windows (which will include 1 stationary picture window and possibly 2 casements rather than D/H's) in a 1987 home that currently has wooden windows. I've been quoted the series 4000 (middle level) Allside windows from window world , the series 1000 (lowest level - silver) polaris windows from american windows & more, and Restorations from a local distributor. All 3 gave the same pitch - our windows are great, our installation is great, our warranties are great, etc etc etc...
I plan on being here for approx 10-15 yrs, live in the western new york with very cold winters and humid summers. My budget allows btwn 4-6K for the total project and of course i want the best value for this price range.
My neighbors just had Simonton's installed by home depot and these are highly rated by JD Powers. So there's another opinion that was just given to me !
There are just too many choices, too many options (foam filled main frames or not, 5 chambers, 3 chambers, fiberglass insulation, foam insulation, the type of chaulk used to seal is this grade, another is that grade, sashes), too much info on the internet, everyone has a different opinion making it difficult for me to feel i can make an educated consumer decision - i am on over load.... I am leaning towards the polaris and simply because the sales rep seemed to be the most honest with me - didnt try to up-sell me, explained that the injected foam windows add little to no more value, when comparing similar windows they all have low-e, energy star rated, blah blah blah - the important piece is installation. But .... he is a sales rep, right? So, how do i know and what do I do. I just want to get the best value for my hard earned moeny... If there is any one out there that can shed some light on how to make the best deicison on this investment i would appreciate your insight, comments, expetise... this is going on 3 months now and the weeks are getting closer to the fall again. Thank you.

Windows on Washington

Re: HELP!!! SO CONFUSED

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What area of Western NY are you located?

I think you could probably eliminate those first two options from consideration.

The Simonton is the best of that batch but there certainly are other options out there.

Have you searched for any of the dealers of the products that are more often recommended? Soft-Lite, Okna, Sunrise, Polaris, HiMark, etc?

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You are right it is difficult as an regular consumer to know.
First thing is tune up and listen to your BS meter. If you feel you are being slimmed then move to the next contractor.
When you find the right person they can get the right product.
You do not need to settle for the least of two evils. You can find the best choice for you.

theWindowNerd....

lido

#4 Post by lido »

Thank you for your replies. I am in the buffalo, NY area. Would polaris not be a good option at all. That is the window the guy from ameria's windows and more would install. You saty to eliminate that option but do you mean them as a company not the brand of window? In your opinion should i go back to the drawing board to have other estimates given to me?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

lido wrote:Thank you for your replies. I am in the buffalo, NY area. Would polaris not be a good option at all. That is the window the guy from ameria's windows and more would install. You saty to eliminate that option but do you mean them as a company not the brand of window? In your opinion should i go back to the drawing board to have other estimates given to me?

Polaris is a well built window and a solid company.

Their UltraWeld window is a top notch performer and is built extremely well.