OKNA DIY

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mudslinger

OKNA DIY

#1 Post by mudslinger »

Happy Memorial Day to all vets.

I'm looking at OKNA new construction windows for use in a circa 1950s home I've purchased. The home is a complete rehab. I'm a lifetime mason, and have built my last home from clearing to CO. Will I be allowed to purchase and install OKNA windows and realize warranty? I'm in the Albany NY area.
thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: OKNA DIY

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

mudslinger,

As long as the windows are installed properly (I have no doubt that you can given your background), the full force of your warranty should be in effect.

Do you have a resource for the windows already?

Take off list?

Masonry is always one of my favorite trades to watch a true pro at. :D

mudslinger

#3 Post by mudslinger »

Thx for the quick reply.
I'm 3 wks away from moving in, and have no idea what i'll find, so no MTOL besides approximate window sizes. I found a source for *11 new Anderson 400 series tilt in for about $200 a window. These are 3'x4' RO DH, which will work since all openings will eather be altered or new penetrations. My last home, i made the mistake of using Anderson builders grade DH throughout, and condensation was off the hook. In fairness, this home was brick and EIFS, with hot water baseboard and extremely tight. We would rather not deal with excessive condensation this time around. Once bitten twice shy. Which brings me to OKNA or other considerations at a modest premium if necessary. This home is hot water base atm, and will end up tight. Recommendations on fresh air exchange using hot water heating would be greatly appreciated also.

I have no resource besides their contact number in PA. Good to know OKRA will warranty a sound DIY installation. TY. Any leads on Albany area distributors?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Mudslinger,

Go triple pane at a minimum and they are getting a U-Factor of 0.15 out of the triple pane/argon Starmark series now.

The 800 is still more airtight and I prefer that model but they are both really solid.

Fresh air exchange should be HRV or ERV.

You building the home or just tearing down to do full tear outs?

I don't cover your area but I am sure I can put you in touch with a dealer pretty close by. Not sure how the site owners want to run that as the lead origination are how the site owners pay for the maintenance and upkeep of the site.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Can not touch that AW 400 price.
The Okna 5500 or 800 will give you better performance.
What is the zip code where the house is?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

That price is crazy low, and less than most dealers' cost for a quality window regardless of material. You'll pay more for okna for sure.

mudslinger

#7 Post by mudslinger »

I called OKNA directly days ago, no call back. Does not instill confidence.