Memphis replacement windows. Window World or Champion or ?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Memphis38111

Memphis replacement windows. Window World or Champion or ?

#1 Post by Memphis38111 »

My wife and I recently moved into a mid 1940's construction house in Memphis with 12 windows total and are looking to replace the original windows. We have already had quotes from Lowes (got to start somewhere), a Gorell representative (not really impressed with the sales rep but impressed with the windows), a representative from Champion (good quality window but he gave us the hard sell), a representative from Pitman Glass who carry Jeld-Wen and Softlite (yet to hear back with a quote) and a representative from a local company who install Anderson windows.

Based on the quotes we have so far (all for 12 double hung replacement vinyl windows, Low-E glass, three with obscured glass, internal colonial style grids) we are leaning towards Window World (quote: $5680), with Champion (quote: $6800 cash only - but originally quoted ~$14K) our second choice. The quote for the Anderson windows was $11,400, Lowes $3600, and Gorell about $5k (but the sales rep did not provide a detailed quote).

I have already spent a lot of time researching replacement windows and I was hoping someone could help us offers some advice before we make our decision.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Memphis replacement windows. Window World or Champion or ?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Check the other board.

I am still dumbfounded that your second choice would be a company that would happily overcharge you by 52%.

unionguy

#3 Post by unionguy »

Below is my experience with Window World. I would not wish it upon anyone.

*original review*

My experience with Window World is a nightmare that just won't end. The first installation crew started ripping out three windows but only installed one before they decided they weren't going to finish the job. They packed up and left the other two in worse shape than they were to begin with, complete with busted out panes, and wood shims laying in my yard. It took Window World five days to send a second crew to install the remaining 15 windows. After they left I noticed daylight breaching the interior of my home around one of the windows. I called them back out to seal it until they could finish the wrap, which was being pushed out another 3 weeks because of the wrong color being ordered. They refused to seal the window and insisted it was weatherproof when it obviously was not.

Even after the third crew and a total of 10 trips to install, I still have remaining issues. They installed some wrap off level. It is crooked on the front of my house and they are now refusing to come back to fix it. From the owner's own words he is not going to spend any more money on this. I contacted corporate and spoke with David, Manager of Customer Relations and he was no more help than the Memphis owner. I was told that Kelly is an independent franchise owner and while he would be happy to mediate his hands were tied and all decisions were ultimately Kelly's to make.

I could add much more about unprofessionalism, shattered glass littering my home left uncleaned, and on and on, but suffice to say Window World apparently views 10 trips to install windows something to brag about, because they brag about how they've done everything I've asked to try to make us happy. Everything, that is, except get it right and not waste my time.

*update*

Dictionary.com defines blackmail as a verb: to force or coerce into a particular action, statement, etc.

I just received a certified letter from Window World stating they deem it necessary to rescind the lifetime warranty on my windows due to a “hostile environment”. They continue to say “the position can be resolved if (you) retract unflattering comments and several untrue statements that were posted online to several social media sites; Window World will reconsider this decision to fully warranty the windows installed if this is done but we must have verification of the retraction from each site.”

First, no statement I have published has been untrue. Also I must confess I find this very confusing. How hostile can an environment be if it will be deemed no-longer-hostile by virtue of my retracting online reviews? My confusion is further compounded by the fact that the letter was cc’d to Kannon Conway, Harris Shelton PLLC. Rescinding my warranty and in the same breath offering to reinstate it if I retract statements posted online seems to fall squarely under the coercion into a particular action or statement thing.

Did they really blackmail me and cc their lawyers the proof or am I missing something?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

WOW, I didn't think that company could surprise me anymore, but I was wrong. That's unbelievable. Cancel a customer's warranty if they are unsatisfied and vocal...? :shock: That's one way to deal with complaints! :evil:

This article talks about warranty problems. It doesn't exactly apply to your situation but the remedies he talks about are valid in your case as well.

The whole point of purchasing a warranty or buying a product with a good warranty is peace of mind, and the assurance that the product will be fixed or repairs if it fails to work. However, warranty complaints are not uncommon, and it is helpful to know how to handle them. By knowing what to do from the start, consumers can usually ensure better results when they start to escalate a warranty complaint.

Before complaining about a warranty, it is a good idea to read the fine print. If a business or manufacturer refuses to honor a warranty, it should provide a reason, and consumers should be able to look that reason up in the text of the warranty. For example, many companies consider warranties void if consumers open the product up and attempt to repair it themselves, or when substantial modifications are made to the original product. If an inspection of the warranty suggests that it should still be valid, it's time to escalate.
DandB.com/Business-Credit-Reports

The first step is a formal complaint to the retailer or manufacturer which refuses to honor the warranty, along with a complaint to the retailer who sold the warranty. Sometimes, this is enough, especially if a consumer indicates that he or she will escalate the complaint if the issue is not resolved. Warranty complaints can also be taken directly to the manufacturer. Many manufacturers are actually happy to repair or replace broken products as an act of customer relations, and they may work with consumers to resolve warranty complaints.

If these measures don't work, it's time to bring up some more aggressive approaches to warranty complaints, starting with the Better Business Bureau. Many nations have a Better Business Bureau or consumer advocacy agency which can help to resolve various service complaints, and businesses are often happy to work with agencies like these to avoid bad ratings. There may also be specific laws in place such as lemon laws for cars which can be brought to bear on a warranty complaint.

In the United States, the State Attorney General is another good source for resolution, as he or she can assist consumers. Some states even have warranty complaint hotlines for their citizens. Similar agencies can also be found in some other regions of the world. Escalating to the national government is also an option, although the government can be slow to respond to individual consumers.
(Note:) Tennesee has the Tennessee Consumer Protection Act. This protects you against deceptive practices. You would need to contact your state's Attorney General to complain about the cancellation of your warranty for this ridiculous reason. I imagine they wouldn't like this practice too much.

Warranty complaints can sometimes be resolved with a lawsuit, but the process is expensive and time consuming. This is generally only recommended when multiple people have similar issues, which can be used as a basis for a class action lawsuit.

(if it were me, I would start with the Tennessee Attorny General. If that didn't go anywhere I would file a BBB complaint. As a matter of fact, I might do the BBB thing the same day, as if it were me I'd be steaming mad!.)

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sounds to me like WW should consider changing their slogan from "simply the best for less" to "our installs are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."