Please clear up a question about window frames/sashes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
fridge2020

Re: Please clear up a question about window frames/sashes

#16 Post by fridge2020 »

Actually the VT number could be reflective of any number of things from frame size, to grids, to low e spec, etc. The Vytex is not necessarily considered a "slim" unit in my opinion. My experience with the product has left something to be desired. I would not put it in the same category as the more frequently mentioned premium options on this forum.

Happygo

#17 Post by Happygo »

fridge2020 wrote:Actually the VT number could be reflective of any number of things from frame size, to grids, to low e spec, etc. The Vytex is not necessarily considered a "slim" unit in my opinion. My experience with the product has left something to be desired. I would not put it in the same category as the more frequently mentioned premium options on this forum.
This makes sense, thanks for your input.
In terms of actual measurement, how wide would you say the frame/sash is on the Vytex Fortis, as compared to OKNA 500, for example?

And my understanding is that Softlite would be slightly wider than either of these choices? Is that correct?

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't have a Vytex sample to measure, but I believe that the difference is around 1/4" give or take. Hopefully someone can confirm that for you, or you could just ask your sales guy to take that measurement.
On softlite, it depends what line. The pro and Bainbridge are narrow, while the elements and imperial Ls ( their premium lines ) are wider.

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

fridge2020 wrote:Actually the VT number could be reflective of any number of things from frame size, to grids, to low e spec, etc. The Vytex is not necessarily considered a "slim" unit in my opinion. My experience with the product has left something to be desired. I would not put it in the same category as the more frequently mentioned premium options on this forum.
Fridge,

In this particular case, I was comparing the same glass package and Low-e coating.

The Vytex Fortis is slimmer than the Heritage and does come in on the narrow side of things.

I will defer to your opinion on them as I have heard similar horror stories but cannot comment personally.

Happygo

#20 Post by Happygo »

Thanks for all the feedback!
I contacted the sales guy and he stated "he will try to get that information" for me.
This leaves me feeling a little puzzled! Can't he just measure the demo window he showed me?

Or with the Vytex Fortis, maybe the frame and sash size vary during the manufacturing process, since they are custom made? (which I know all the windows under discussion are custom made, but just a thought)

Do you find his statement confusing at all? In all other aspects, the rep. has been very responsive, and even gave me addresses of projects his company has recently completed so that I could look at their work.
I don't think he is intentionally misleading me, but could of course be wrong.

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

He could measure the demo but sometimes they are in a case and it is tough get and accurate measurement on it.

Happygo

#22 Post by Happygo »

Windows on Washington wrote:He could measure the demo but sometimes they are in a case and it is tough get and accurate measurement on it.
Ok, thank-you for the reply.

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

Happygo wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:He could measure the demo but sometimes they are in a case and it is tough get and accurate measurement on it.
Ok, thank-you for the reply.
No problem.

Sales people fall into two categories generally.

1. One that will promise anything and in this case tell you that they will make the frame whatever size you need him to make it... :roll:

2. Two is the one that won't wipe his nose without checking with the office.

If its all just the same, #2 is more preferable although I appreciate #1 confidence. :lol:

TheWindowNerd

#24 Post by TheWindowNerd »

A third category would be the guy who knows or at least can do the research and get back with an accurate answer.

Windows on Washington

#25 Post by Windows on Washington »

anthony wrote:A third category would be the guy who knows or at least can do the research and get back with an accurate answer.

theWindowNerd...
Those aren't salespeople by the very definition though... :lol:

Happygo

#26 Post by Happygo »

Thanks for all the feedback!
I heard back from the Vytex Fortis representative and the measurement for the lower sash is 2 7/8 (as I believe someone here helpfully stated), and the upper sash is 3 1/2.

Are there any replacement windows with the upper and lower sashes the same width?
(I don't know how it would affect the performance of the window, but it is a visual thing with me )

Thanks again for your professional expertise!

I just don't want my replacement windows to look narrow once they are installed.

Windows on Washington

#27 Post by Windows on Washington »

What you are referring to is called "Equal Site Lines".

There are window that do have that but they will net you a window that is as bulky on the bottom as it is on the top.

Every equal site line window that I know of is much larger across the bottom sash profile.

Happygo

#28 Post by Happygo »

Ok, it sounds like I don't want to go that route then since total glass area is important to me. Thanks very much.

HomeSealed

#29 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Gotta compromise on one or the other; equal site lines or more glass area.

Guy

#30 Post by Guy »

WOW, the HOA is the cities Historical Association. A lot of the bigger municipalities have an historical committee that targets special homes and areas to keep original as possible.

In most cases the HOA isn't going to be that critical about the rail and style sizes. Their main goal is making sure you keep the physical appearance the same as it was originally. If the opening has a DH it stays a DH. If all the windows have grids, they must remain the same. Any time I deal with a house that requires the historical value to remain the same I use Marvin's Integrity line for original wood interior or the Integrity for a non wood opening. It's been accepted everywhere here in MN. We've done the Kellogg Mansion, Goveners Mansion and many more on our historical Summit Avenue in St Paul. The most important thing to remember is the installers need to be top notch on these jobs. They will be scrutinized for every little detail! If you don't pull your permit and follow their guidelines you'll be tearing them out and starting over. Good Luck!!!