window installation question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
melissapa79

window installation question

#1 Post by melissapa79 »

Hi
How can I make sure the window I purchased on paper is what the installer is really giving me the day of the installation? Is there something on the window that will tell me? Just want to make sure the installer isn't going to try to install a cheaper version and think they can get a way with it.
and will there be any type of paperwork that comes with each window for a warranty from the manufacture? The window mfg is okna.

also one other question. Is it true all Okna windows you the string?

Windows on Washington

Re: window installation question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You can check the NFRC label for the model designation and the thermal data.

All Okna windows do you the block and tackle system. You sound a tiny bit concerned if I can read into you wording and you should not be. That system is well past proven and actually cycle tests for more duration than the constant force system.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

WoW is right, the block and tackle balance system shouldn't concern you at all. Every balancer has pros and cons, but the reliability of the block and tackle, and smoothness of operation make it a great choice.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've never had a block and tackle balance fail. I also have windows with constant force and the only problem that I've every had with them was with order from Schuco in which they simply put the wrong model in my uncle's windows which was a pretty simple fix.

melissapa79

#5 Post by melissapa79 »

When the windows arrive and I look at NFRC label for the model designation and the thermal data will there be some type of number printed on the window itself (something that the manufacture prints on the window not a label)? Just wondering if someone could put any NFRC label on a window and that window really not be what the NFRC label says?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Im a bit confused here. You hired this particular contractor but you are worried he is " trying to pull a fast one"? What suddenly transpired that made you decide he is no longer trust worthy?

melissapa79

#7 Post by melissapa79 »

Didn't hire anyone yet looking at different quotes and trying to figure out which one is better. Looks like everyone likes the Okna. Still trying to make a decision brands and quotes.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

I can tell you okna is a very well designed window and im sure the contractor who offers it will do a great job.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Not sure if you are asking a general question or one about Okna, but as already explained, the window will come with an NFRC certified sticker on it, and Okna actually lists the product model and options on their warranty stickers as well. Beyond that, a professional can check the odds and ends of a window to insure the right glass spacer, series, low-e, etc etc. These same measures can be used regardless of manufacturer.
If you have a bad feeling about a particular contractor as though he will try to switch up what you ordered with something cheaper, I'd move on to someone that you find to be more trustworthy.
On Okna as a product and manufacturer, I've had nothing but great results. Excellent product.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with the others that your wariness seems a little extreme.
The only way I think you will be assured is to use an independent third party to verify the specifics of your project at completion. I would estimate that that should cost ~ $200.

theWindowNerd...