Which window is better?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Canaligator

Which window is better?

#1 Post by Canaligator »

I am replacing all the windows in my house with new construction windows. I have received several quotes. A couple of contractors are pushing the Jeld-Wen Siteline EX cladded windows with Low E Argon filled. Another is touting the Soft-Lite Imperial LS. I am no expert on windows, but much of the research I have done points to the Soft-Lites being a far superior window. I have found several bad reviews on the Jeld-Wens. I have been assured y the contractor that the Jeld-Wens are a great window. I'm just not so sure. Can anybody give me some good advice on which of these windows I should choose? Also, what would the approximate price difference be between the two? I am spending a ot of money and want to make sure it is well spent. Thanks for any input you could give.

randy

Re: Which window is better?

#2 Post by randy »

Soft-lite's Imperial LS is far superior to anything made by Jeld-Wen, which is born out by the performance numbers. Jeld-Wen doesn't make top performing windows.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Randy is 100% correct, the soft lite imperial is a much better window, not even close. Jeldwin make garbage windows. I dont think you want to invest in low quality? Go with the soft lite, your contractor doesnt sound like he knows what good quality is.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd have to agree with the above comments for the most part. While the Elements is softlite's top offering, the Ls is not far behind and is a top performer. The same cannot be said for the other product in question.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+3

No comparison. I will have to respectfully disagree with your rep on the assessment of the Jeld-Wen.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Piling on. 4 for the Soft lite.

theWindowNerd...

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

HomeSealed wrote:I'd have to agree with the above comments for the most part. While the Elements is softlite's top offering, the Ls is not far behind and is a top performer. The same cannot be said for the other product in question.
I'm an Elements dealer (as well as the various Okna window lines). The Elements is the top offering from Soft-lite, but it is made from the same profile offering and is virtually identical to the Elements in performance. The Elements has ILTIS locks that let you tilt the window in with the sash locks instead of separate tilt latches. They look and operate cool when they work well, but many times are troublesome. I'd almost suggest the LS over the Elements because of that feature.

randy

#8 Post by randy »

The Elements has ILTIS locks that let you tilt the window in with the sash locks instead of separate tilt latches. They look and operate cool when they work well, but many times are troublesome. I'd almost suggest the LS over the Elements because of that feature.
Great point Dave, I agree completely.

Canaligator

#9 Post by Canaligator »

Thanks so much for everybody's input. I am still trying to convince my contractor that Soft-Lites are better than Jeld-Wen's. He is insisting that Jeld-Wen is a great window. I do have one question. What is the approximate price difference between these two windows? I'm assuming the Soft-Lites are more money. If I can convince my contractor to put in the Soft-Lites, I'd like to have some idea of what the upcharge is.
Thanks again.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Your contractor is undoubtedly pushing Jeldwin because its cheap and he doesnt have access to higher end brands such as Soft Lite.
Further, why do you have to convince your contractor that soft lite is better? Its your home and you are paying for the windows. Why does he need any convincing at all, its quite apparent that his preference for cheap / low quality windows raises a red flag.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Pricing can vary substantially from dealer to dealer. In the original post, it sounded like you had not yet made up your mind on contractors. If that is the case, I'd definitely lean toward the softlite guy. If the other guy insists that the other product is a top choice, I'd seriously question his credibility.

Canaligator

#12 Post by Canaligator »

Thanks for all the input. I do agree that maybe the Soft-Lite contractor may be the way to go. I was, however more impressed with 2 other contractor's. Their references and presentation were much better than the Soft-Lite guy. So I'd like to try and work with them on a new quote with the Soft-Lites. My question is.......what is an approximate price difference between the Jeld-Wens and the Soft-Lites??

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Impossible to even fathom a guess in this case.

Totally depends on the vendor and the options, but moreso on the vendor.

Sorry that I can't be of more help but I would encourage to not skimp on the windows. It could be a decision that you pay for twice.

Canaligator

#14 Post by Canaligator »

I just don't get why window prices are such a mystery. I am replacing a bunch of basic new construction double hung windows, approximately 30" X 50" with grids inside the windows. I realize that some contractors have different price points for different windows. If John Q Public were to purchase a Jeld-Wen and a Soft-lite, does ANYBODY have even an educated guess as to the price difference? I would think there wouldn't be any more than a $100-$200 difference per window. Just a complete guess on my part. I just want to have some ballpark idea of what the upcharge would be. Any educated guesses would be appreciated.
Thanks.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:Impossible to even fathom a guess in this case.

Totally depends on the vendor and the options, but more so on the vendor.
Exactly. I know that you have asked that question a couple times Canaligator, but it is absolutely impossible to answer. You could have two contractors with pricing hundreds of dollars per window apart, so to say what one window's price vs another's would be just can't be done. The only thing that you can do is actually get quotes and see where they fall. If you are talking purely about COST of the the window to the contractor, I'd imagine that they are within a couple hundred dollars of each other or less, but again that really has no bearing on what a company will then sell it for.
Regarding the Jeldwen guy and trying to purchase Softlite through him, have you asked him if he can sell the Imperial LS? I ask because that is a high end model that is typically reserved for select dealers. It is not available to just anyone.