Replacement Window Extending Past Outside Window Trim

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cksiam

Replacement Window Extending Past Outside Window Trim

#1 Post by cksiam »

I have had half my house replaced with Sunrise Restorations windows. I previously had wood windows that were flush with the inside walls. Most of the new windows were full tear-outs, removing the old window opening down to the studs.

For these windows the new Sunrise frame is flush with the existing external trim, however, Sunrise has some sort of fancy, beveled "frame" around the glass/screen area that sticks out a further 1/2 or 3/4 from the rest of the window frame.

I like the look of the deeper 3" inside jamb/sill over the picture frame setup I had before. But I'm wondering if the installer should have made adjustments to ensure that all of the new replacement doesn't protrude past the external trim. Should I be worried about future problems?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Replacement Window Extending Past Outside Window Trim

#2 Post by masterext »

No, it is fine. Most new windows will have some sort if bevel that will protrude. Most customers find that look extremely appealing.

cksiam

#3 Post by cksiam »

Good to hear. Thought it may be more vulnerable to the rain and hail. (Meant to say protrudes about 1/2 inches out)

I don't mind the look either, especially since I also like what I gain from the inside (more glass and nicer trim and jamb).

Thanks.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. That is just the screen track. The important thing is that the windows were set and measured properly, and with a full-frame install with nailing fin, the installers don't have much choice as to the projection of that. The fin sits on the substrate and then the interior jamb extension takes up the rest of the space.
Definitely nothing to worry about :D

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+2

theWindowNerd...

cksiam

#6 Post by cksiam »

I have to assume the installation was done correctly. Not sure how much this is worth, but the Restorations warranty warrants that the installation is done to Sunrise's standards, so hopefully I'm correct in assuming that Sunrise has some level of confidence in the company doing the install.

Thanks, all.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

The Restorations is the top line offered by Sunrise and is an "exclusive" line reserved for high volume, high quality dealers. Questionable installs can sometimes slip through the cracks regardless of product or dealer, but the good companies stand behind them to make things right should an issue arise. That said, as we've all agreed, it doesn't sound like there is anything out of order in this case, and a quality product offering will generally offer some insurance of install quality.

cksiam

#8 Post by cksiam »

Well, with the huge wind and rain we've just had, no problems with any leaks as far as I can tell. But as I mentioned on some later posts, our installer cut the old nailing fin (against what HomeSealed recommends/prefers) and used low expansion foam to seal up to the back of the old nailing fin and used metal z-shaped flashing along the top of the windows not directly under a soffit.

The only big negative I've noticed is that when it rains, the outer glass gets hit with rain drops more easily.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

You should be fine ck... As I mentioned earlier, that method while not offering the most protection, is acceptable.

cksiam

#10 Post by cksiam »

Thanks, HomeSealed. You and all the other pros are providing an excellent service to the general homeowner looking for information on replacement windows. While this obviously helps your own businesses (and why not), the fact that you spend so much time responding to others outside your service areas show you have a true passion for the industry. The better, confident companies appreciate better informed customers, I'm sure. This forum is truly a great resource.