Sash Bowing Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cksiam

Sash Bowing Question

#1 Post by cksiam »

More post-installation Sunrise questions from me. Nothing I'm really worried about, but maybe it will help others searching this board as previous Q&As helped me in my window search.

In my Sunrise Restoration double hungs, I've noticed a very slight bowing on the top part of the bottom sash. It bows downward slighting in the center ("smiling", so to speak). It's not really noticeable except when I'm opening or closing the windows. It's probably less than 1/4 inch, but on cheaper and older vinyl windows (single hungs) at a neighbor's house, I've noticed the meeting rails are completely even.

I've also noticed that the twin cam locks on my windows both lock fine except one side seems to lock more tightly than the other. The "loose" lock isn't really too loose, but it doesn't seem like it is working as hard as the tighter cam. Not sure if this is having any impact on the bowing or now.

Any thoughts, concerns or fixes?

Also, can the cam locks be adjusted to be tighter or looser?

HomeSealed

Re: Sash Bowing Question

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Very hard to say without seeing it in person. A pic would help some...

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Most cam locks are not adjustable.

cksiam

#4 Post by cksiam »

20130708_191517.jpg
(88.38 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
20130629_181624.jpg
(80.87 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Here are two pictures of the same window. You can sort of see how the black seal on the upper sash gets thinner or tapers as it gets closer to the sides. It's not an optical illusion: the center of the top side of the lower sash is slightly bowed downward.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Wow beautiful looking windows. Have you talked to your contractor about your observations?
Some windows have an adjustable strike on the lock, not all though.
As long as it is not creating any problem I would let it be.

theWindowNerd...

cksiam

#6 Post by cksiam »

Yes, we're very happy with the windows. Brazilian Pecan woodgrain with matching jamb and case.

Will ask the installer about the bowing when he comes back next month to do more windows for us. Not causing any problems as far as I can tell, but I was just wondering if there is an acceptable level of bowing that's indicative of either a poor installation, a manufacturing defect, or simply the nature of having triple pane glass in these thin windows.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

If your sashes where not handled correctly just after the glazing process was completed it's quite possible that they have a slight bow. What I find more often with the Sunrise line of double hungs is that the sills will lay more true if the corners at set upon shims, this allows the center to relax a little. They are definitely a more fussy and time consuming window to tweak to get working just right regarding reveals and lock tension. We just (23) larger double hungs within the Vanguard line and all had to be carefully tweaked. My one helper with his big ego got so tired of me undoing his work and resetting the windows that he went out and organized my trailer.

I can almost set a 2:1 ratio of the OKNA and Soft-Lite double hungs to what it takes me to install a Sunrise product.

cksiam

#8 Post by cksiam »

Thanks, Delaware Mike. I'll be a little nosier this time during the install and ask about the setting of the shims. As i said, the bowing is really not too bad, but perhaps that explains the difference in lock tension?

Interestingly, the two retrofit/insert double hungs we had installed don't have the same bowing as the full replacement windows. Granted, the insert double hungs are smaller.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Could be some crowning in the sill, or even something as simple as compression weatherstripping that needs to break in and relax a little bit... but then again, it is not inconceivable that there could be an issue. I'd either contact your installer about it, or give it a little time first and then contact him if the condition does not improve. By the pics it does not look to be an issue, however it certainly does not hurt to check into it a little further.
DM's comments on both the glazing and the nature of that product are both spot-on in my experience. Very well built product, but it can be a little bit more finicky for the installers. I agree word for word with his assessment.