Serious vinyl windows

A place to talk about the Window Industry
mellowyellow

Re: Serious vinyl windows

#16 Post by mellowyellow »

Don't be sorry for being blunt. I asked for information. I thank you for your time. I am 62 and retired. I needed these windows badly and trusted Home Depot wouldnt let me down. It sucks because my wife and i recently lost our daughter and now have our two grandchildren to raise.
We were hoping to have A/C installed next year but now that will not take place. I dont know how i left this happen. Windows will be here on the 7th. of July which is tomorrow, they estimated. I am totally sadened here in Pa.

Windows on Washington

#17 Post by Windows on Washington »

mellowyellow wrote:Don't be sorry for being blunt. I asked for information. I thank you for your time. I am 62 and retired. I needed these windows badly and trusted Home Depot wouldnt let me down. It sucks because my wife and i recently lost our daughter and now have our two grandchildren to raise.
We were hoping to have A/C installed next year but now that will not take place. I dont know how i left this happen. Windows will be here on the 7th. of July which is tomorrow, they estimated. I am totally sadened here in Pa.
Don't mind masterext. He is merely sharing your angst with the product failure and hates to see customers get products that we know to be more problematic than others.

While Home Depot is probably not the best install resource, their shear size and corporate organization should ensure that you get the windows you paid and contracted for.

You will need to keep calling until you get the right person on the phone that can confirm you are getting what you ordered.

It is very likely that the American Craftsman 70 is a private label window that is made by Reliabilt for Home Depot.

I am very sorry to hear of your daughter's passing and your grandchildren are very fortunate to have you and your wife still in their lives.

mellowyellow

#18 Post by mellowyellow »

I didnt get windows today. Should be here soon, i guess. Thank you so very much. I will keep you posted about the windows. Also, i was told by my sales person that the american craftsman window was purchased by anderson window company, that made me even more reasured that these windows would be ok because anderson had there name attached to them. I just cant beleave home depot would sale a window with so many problems. If this is the case, they really left my family down. I thank you all for your help.

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

If he is referring to an Andersen vinyl option, that is the company called SilverLine.

Some of their products are a bit questionable but you should have some warranty protections. Be sure to keep all your paperwork in a safe place where you can reference it in the future should you have to.

The windows will probably serve you fine.

mellowyellow

#20 Post by mellowyellow »

I just wanted to let all know windows came in July 8th. The people at Home Depot helped load my truck, 17 windows in all. The windows were protected with plastic seal and was done very well. It is now the 18th. of July and I have 10 of the windows installed. That includes scraping, prim, calking, and painting. The windows came with all hardware and screws. My house was built in the 30's, so i had to remove window weights and pully system, then fill with insulation as needed. I must admit, so far all is well. I just hope window seal doesn't fail. We shall see in time.
As far as install, it was all good. Just make sure to watch video and ask questions. Used level ansd shims. Do not over tighten screws. Insulate as needed. My windows are the 8500. I guess they are lower end, but not the bottom. They are double hung and both tilt for easy cleaning. I purhased the grids in top half of window and a half screen which can be raised in needed. Total cost of the windows- $3,600.00
I will keep all informed as to completion of windows. My son and grandson are helping me with the install. Thank you

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#21 Post by masterext »

Im still scratching my head as to why you went with such a low quality window...the 8500 ???? Not sure i can understand that choice.

Windows on Washington

#22 Post by Windows on Washington »

Glad to hear the update.

While I may disagree with the window choice, if they are done well, you are probably in good shape.