Windows with Shutters

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
RnRJefro

Windows with Shutters

#1 Post by RnRJefro »

I am hoping someone can give me some insight on the method(s) of installing new vinyl replacement windows where there are fake shutters on the existing windows.

I have 9 windows to replace and 6 of them have shutters. I am concerned because most of the companies I have received estimates from say they will need to move the shutters over about 3" or so because they need to cut back my aluminum siding to make room to "cap" the windows.

I do not want the shutters moved over because I think it will look terrible being so far away from the window.

I know the windows can be replaced by simply cutting the old window out and leaving the old nailing fin in place. Neither the siding or the shutters would have to be disturbed this way. Then it would be simply a matter of installing new J-channel, installing the new window, spraying some foam in and caulking it to the J-channel.

I guess if the new window were capped, the shutters could be mounted right up against the windows anyway like they are presently ( but over the side capping) but there still would be an extra 3" or so at the top and 3" or so at the bottom of capping visable and I think that would look bad also.

In addition...I am thinking that not doing the capping method would make the job slightly less expensive due to less labor and capping supplies.

Don't most installers have more than one method they use to install the windows so they can adapt to the situation and the needs of the customer?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows with Shutters

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Jeff,

An exterior picture would be helpful in this application if you can link back to one.

Shutters do have to be moved from time to time in certain applications.

It is normally not a big deal given that the space that are moved to the side is covered by the trim and new window set/placement.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The windows can be done the way you refer to.
The J channel may have to be redone, and the shutters removed and reinstalled.
You will not save any money as the metal rip is a difficulty factor in itself.

RnRJefro

#4 Post by RnRJefro »

Okay...great.

That makes me feel better. I think it would look much better not having the windows (that have the shutters) surrounded by capping.

I'll make sure the company I choose agrees to use that method.

Thank you.