Okna 800 Window question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tmal14

Okna 800 Window question

#1 Post by tmal14 »

I've gotten a quote for the Okna 800 series. The company I'm working with says Okna cannot make the 58x72 slider, woodgrain and tempered, they even called to confirm. Can anyone verify if this is correct?

The rep also said they do not use spray foam for the Okna window due to the fact it has exterior foam already applied. In the case that additional foam is needed they just use fiberglass, is this a cause for concern on the install.

Overall, I'm very happy with the quote for the Okna windows I've gotten. Just need to decide between the 800 Series, Imperial LS and UltraWeld.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Okna 800 Window question

#2 Post by masterext »

Okna certainly does make a slider that large.
Okna certainly does foam fill their extrusions, they do not use fiberglass.

tmal14

#3 Post by tmal14 »

The foam wasn't in regards to the foam in the frame, I believe that's included with the deluxe model they quoted me on. However the I was referring to the spray foam they use on install. This company said they do not use it because the windows have exterior foam that helps eliminate the need for it. If when installing there is still a gap they will use fiberglass. I'm not sure the use of fiberglass vs. osi foam is that much of a difference.

I will ask the Okna dealer to call again and double check the sizes.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

If your dealer is more comfirtable using fiberglass, so be it. I happen to orefer spray foam but thats me. Some old timers like fiberglass because thats what they are used to using.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

The max height on a slider per manufacturer spec is 67". If he has not done so, your contractor can request that Okna make an exception on that, which they may or may not be able to do. Generally any such request is reviewed by the engineers who give the "yea or nay". The fact that the width is not very large would make it seem more likely to be possible, but again it would need a special review. The alternative would be to slightly shrink the height on that opening, which may or may not be a reasonable option depending on the specific circumstances of your home.
On the foam, I agree with masterext. Low-expansion, closed cell foam is superior and preferred for that reason, however the combination of fiberglass, perimeter foam wrap, and trim/caulking can effectively make the opening air tight in most cases. As he said, it is typically the "old-school" guys that don't like to use the foam. I definitely prefer it, however it should not be a deal-breaker if this company checks out in all other areas. Clearly they care about quality if they are offering a high-end product like Okna.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It all looks doable to me. Fairly certain they will make that size with a special request to the factory.

theWindowNerd...

tmal14

#7 Post by tmal14 »

I called the dealer and had him double check on the size for the slider window with Okna. He said he's called worked his way through the company, and Okna was not willing to budge on the size restriction to go up to 72".

Is it possible to move to the Starmark to get a larger size slider? If so, is the exterior of the look of starmark that different from the Okna 800? These large windows will be about 10ft from our kitchen windows, and I'm worried about the outside looking odd if both windows have different "looks" to the exterior. Is someone has any pictures to compare that would be much appreciated.

One last probably dumb question, but here it is anyway.

From the exterior will where the glass and sash meet line up? I have a casement going in the middle with two picture windows on either side (24" space btw the windows). Will the glass be in line all the way across on the top and bottom sash or will the added casement bulk make the bottom sash look like this

___ --------- ___

where the solid lines are the picture windows, and the dashed line is the casement.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Not sure why they will not do 72" height, you are just within the max total UI.
They may have had problems in the pass with the interlock at the CMR working properly over 67", That is the only reason that I see.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Order a fixed casement as opposed to a picture window and everything will line up. If you are getting it factory mulled, it should come that way as a default.
Height restriction is the same 67" on the Starmark.

fridge2020

#10 Post by fridge2020 »

Starmark looks a little different, but the point is moot since the height restrictions are the same.

tmal14

#11 Post by tmal14 »

Finally got around to the windows and sent in my deposit today. I should have final measurements sometime soon, which we will address the sliders hitting the max size for okna windows.

We are going to try and bridge the space to make up the difference. I'm not entirely how, but because the installer is going to come out, measure and see what he can do.

I want to check in with you guys to see what other okna windows besides casements can go bigger than 67" so I can choose something else, quickly, if I don't like what the installer has planned. Re looking at everything now that my outside isn't covered in snow has me re thinking the size. It might be to large of a space to make up the difference.

Does okna offer 3 light sliders in a higher maximum height, I know some other companies do? Are DH a max of 67" too?

I could always go with twin casements mulled at the factory but I believe the mullion will be around 6 inches thick, correct?

Thanks for all the help. I'm pretty sure I have driven the company I'm using crazy with all the information I've picked up on this forum.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

tmal14 wrote:
Does okna offer 3 light sliders in a higher maximum height, I know some other companies do? Are DH a max of 67" too?

3 light sliders have the same maximum height as 2-Lite sliders. On double hungs the maximum height is 85".
Would a twin double hung work with the aesthetics of your home?

tmal14

#13 Post by tmal14 »

Currently the house is all twin casements, we were hoping to stick with the same look as that but moving to sliders to save cost yet maintain the same aesthetic.

I could switch to double hungs, but I think I would run into the same issue as the twin casements or picture casement&casement, the wide mullion in the middle.

Any idea on visible glass for 58x72 twin casement?

Approximately how wide is the center glass to glass on a twin casement or picture case & case?

I've looked at some pictures online and it doesn't seem to be very much more or less than my current wood twin casements.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Figure on about 2.5-2.75" of frame on either side of the window and 2X on that in the middle where the units are mulled together.

tmal14

#15 Post by tmal14 »

Windows on Washington wrote:Figure on about 2.5-2.75" of frame on either side of the window and 2X on that in the middle where the units are mulled together.
Is there anything insulation wise I need to be concerned about with the mulling? or is that taken care of at the factory?

My inside is going to be the cognac interior does the mulling pose any cosmetic issues with the wood grain interior?