Okna 500 vice Vytex Fortis

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Lock4Second

Okna 500 vice Vytex Fortis

#1 Post by Lock4Second »

I have had 6 different companies come by and give me quotes for replacement windows. One company has pushed Okna 800 or 500 series (with my emphasis being on 500 as the 800's are going to be more than I'm looking to spend). I've had about 5 different companies push the Vytex Fortis. Based solely on the number of companies pushing it, it would appear as though the Vytex is where it's at (or maybe its just the local company so everyone is familiar with them). I was wondering if there is any input from experiences between the two of them. Thanks!

Cheers,
Paul

HomeSealed

Re: Okna 500 vice Vytex Fortis

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Okna 500 is a top performer and should have a slight edge in the ratings. That said, the Fortis is not too far behind. Solid choice from what I've seen, although if cost is equal I'm choosing the Okna.

Lock4Second

#3 Post by Lock4Second »

Homesealed,

Thank you so much for the quick response on here. I wasn't sure what time frame to expect, so I appreciate the promptness. That being said, the project is going to be replacing 25 double hung windows, 3 transoms, and 1 large stationary picture window in my home built in the mid 90's with primarily large windows. The Okna quote just came in at $19,847 and the Fortis was priced at $13,698. As far as price the Fortis seems like a homerun, but is there more than meets the eye? The company that quoted 13,698 is A+ on BBB and has a 92% A rating on Angies List. Homesealed, thanks again for your input and thoughts and I welcome anyone else's input.

Cheers,
Paul

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

That is an awfully large project and the pricing on the Fortis seems rather low even for basic options and sizes. I would make sure that all of the options and installation details are apples to apples. In my experience, the Okna has a better fit and finish to go along with the ratings edge.

Some added details would help as well:
-general sizes and options (grids, tempered glass, colors, etc)
-replacement or full-frame install? ---Being from the 90's, I'm thinking there is a decent chance that these are full frames? If so, you could see wildly different install methods.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

The price seems rather low to me as well. Vytex Fortis is very solid, very air tight, and a good looking window. They also have a solid warranty and are very good with customer service . If there are any issues, vytex take's care if it quickly with no questions asked. I know of 2 dealers out of state that have used Vytex for at least 5 years and always tell me how solid it is. They have been around for over 30 years. Most pro's view Vytex as one of the top windows.

There was a company that tried to copy the vytex window design, they were called Affinity Windows out of P.A. Affinity is now out of business.

You really want the nail flange flashed correctly because it sounds as though the original flanges need to be yanked out. I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that the higher priced company selling Okna are paying strict attention to the most proper installation methods while the other company is doing a a basic install just to come in at a lower cost. Unfortunately that happens all too often.
Last edited by masterext on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lock4Second

#6 Post by Lock4Second »

Thank you both for the responses. I really do appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts. Without getting into each and every window a majority of them are in the 33X67 and 33x75 range with a 49x75 picture window and a few 66 x 77. There are 5 that will be tempered, and all but the picture window and 2 more will have the grids. Was thinking that the price might be too good. We've had 2 other companies come in and give quotes on the Fortis for $16,300 for one and the other for $14,456. I'm not sure that I fully understand what you're asking about the "replacement or full-frame," but as the last two quotes was explained to me is that the new windows will fit exactly where the current window is located and will not require us to replace all of the blinds... Does that by chance make sense and/or answer which type of replacement? Thanks again!

Lock4Second

#7 Post by Lock4Second »

On a side note, have you heard about the Affinity Elite? That was offered by one of the companies for $17,127. Reviews seem solid, but I don't know. Again thank you for your time!

Cheers,
Paul

fridge2020

#8 Post by fridge2020 »

I've heard some questionable things about Vytex and warranty coverage. I'd at least search them out on BBB and sites like this. I agree with others that it sounds like some pricing inconsistencies.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd rank the Affinty ahead of the Vytex, behind the okna. Nice window, but id like to see more than a few years in business from a manufacturer.
Sounds like a full tear out by your description. As I mentioned earlier, there are huge differences in methodology in this area, so I'd talk to each contractor to find out what they are planning on doing. Personally, I always like to get the entire window with flange out, and a new window with flange installed with all of the proper flashing detail. This method is a bit more involved than what many outfits offer, but offers multiple layers of added protection against water and air infiltration. We replace leaking windows on a regular basis that were deemed to have flashing detail that is "good enough".
What type of siding do you have?
Do you have trim around your windows?
Are the existing units vinyl or wood?

Lock4Second

#10 Post by Lock4Second »

We do have trim around the windows and we have vinyl sidings and the current windows are also vinyl. Going to start email all the ones that gave me quotes for further clarification on the installation process. With regards to the Affinity and the Vytex, is the Affinity worth the potential $2,671 difference between the middle Vytex quote? Again thank you for all of your help!

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Its hard to assess the pricing until you get the installation details. That will really dictate how things shake out, although my advice generally is to get the best product that is within your budget.
On the installation, with vinyl tear-outs I'm guessing that the low-price guys are simply going to cut-out the existing window leaving in the nail fin and then install the new window with no fin. This is acceptable, but as I mentioned earlier I highly recommend getting that full unit out and a new one in with full flashing detail (back-caulked nail fin, flashing tape, metal drip cap/head flashing, closed cell low expansion foam, etc). Depending on the size of your exterior trim that should be doable with simply removing and reinstalling the existing trim. When the siding goes right up to the window (no trim), we typically cut-back the siding to allow for all of the "dirty work", and then fill that space with new trim. You will pay a significant premium for that type of install, however it is money well spent in my opinion. Certainly cheaper than mold remediation and extensive repairs if the other way starts leaking at some point. You really get about 5 added layers of protection.

Lock4Second

#12 Post by Lock4Second »

Homesealed,

Again thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions and help me to really get to the level of comparing apples to apples. Have another set of questions in on the quotes, so hopefully I can pull the trigger here soon. One more question for you and then I am pretty sure I can stop pestering you, if all installation techniques are the same would we be better served to go with the Affinity or the Vytex at $2,000 less? The money really is a big factor for us, but if the difference is worth it then we'll limit the number of windows we get replaced right now and have the work completed in stages. Again thanks so much for your help and expertise!

Cheers,
Paul

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Between the Affinity and the Vytex I'd definitely choose the Affinity... $2k is $2k, but if you average that over the number of units you have, the "per unit" charge is justified IMO. If you take it a step further, and spread that out over the lifespan of the product, the difference in nearly negligible. Furthermore, if you are considering breaking the project into phases you may even throw the Okna back into the equation even at the premium price. It may seem like a hit to the pocketbook up front, but keep in mind that this is a purchase that should realistically be in service for 20-30+ years. That flat screen TV or even a new car won't be around nearly as long... I'd definitely weigh the installation method heavily in the selection however. A superior install is worth a substantial premium.

Lock4Second

#14 Post by Lock4Second »

Copy all. Thanks again for all of the input. I'm still working on getting the installation techniques for all so as to ensure we get the best possible value for the money. We're definitely going to think long and hard about the products providing the installation is the same, but as you said we're putting a little more emphasis on which company will give us the best installation. Again thanks for the help and hope you have a great weekend.

Cheers,
Paul