Price for New Construction Soft Lite Imperial LS?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Canaligator

Price for New Construction Soft Lite Imperial LS?

#1 Post by Canaligator »

After much searching, I have decided to go with the Soft Lite Imperial LS New Construction Windows. They are all double hung, roughly 30"x50". 12/12 grids inside the windows. Woodgrain finish on the inside. The price I received was $1250 a window which seems like a lot. But it does include removal and disposal of my old windows, taping the new windows off with 6" ice and water tape, and trimming out the windows inside and out. Does this seem like a fair price?
Thanks,
Dave

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Price for New Construction Soft Lite Imperial LS?

#2 Post by masterext »

New construction with new exterior and interior trim does add up quite a bit and then if you add a woodgrain interior, it goes up even more.
Is the exterior white?
Are the grids between the glass or SDL ( simulated divided lite)?

Canaligator

#3 Post by Canaligator »

The grids are between the glass, and yes, white exterior. Also included in their quote is 13 square of Hardie siding at $1000 a square.

Canaligator

#4 Post by Canaligator »

So $1250 a window is a fair price?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

In my market, it would be at the top of normal but probably still in the normal range depending on interior trim options.

Are you happy and comfortable with the company?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd like to say that it sounds like high as well, however there are still a lot of variables here, and interior trim work can get extremely pricey especially if it is being stained. If you like the company and it is within your budget then that is the important part. If you want to compare pricing to other companies, the only way to do it accurately would be to get another quote or two and make sure that all of the details are the same or at least comparable.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Its not out of the realm of normal. Not crazy high.

Canaligator

#8 Post by Canaligator »

The company has very good reviews and references. They are also a James Hardie Preferred Contractor which is important for the siding aspect of the job. Their siding price was almost identical to my other bids. About $1000 a square. As far as the windows go, the interior trim that they are replacing is nothing fancy. Basic pine. The price does not include staining. I wish I could find another contractor to bid on the job who is Preferred Hardie Contractor and installs Soft Lites. I have a couple of other's who I'd like to go with but they are unable to get into the apparent special Soft Lite club. They are having a lot of trouble getting prices on these windows. They have told me it has nearly impossible for them. These are just not fly by night contractor's either. They have been in business a long time and have done 1000's of siding and window jobs. I may just have to go with this contractor because I really like the Soft Lites and he apparently has the market cornered on purchasing them. He is by far the highest bidder. I could save about $3000 by going with Harvey's or Jeld Wens which I'd rather not do. The Soft Lite guy claims his work is far superior to any of his competition, and his reviews seem to back it up.

masterext

#9 Post by masterext »

Soft lite is much higher quality than both jeldwin and harvey. I would stick with your current contractor, i like how he uses higher quality products. His seem to be within the normal range.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

Masterext is right, Soft-lite's Imperial LS is far superior to Jeld-Wen and Harvey.

Canaligator

#11 Post by Canaligator »

Done. I am meeting with the contractor tomorrow. Maybe I can knock him down a little on the price. He doesn't seem to want to budge. I will have to bite the bullet and pay a little more, but I think I will be happy in the end. Thanks to everybody for their input. It has been invaluable. It sounds like Soft Lite is the way to go in my situation.
Last edited by Canaligator on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

I think that you are on the right track in all aspects... Perhaps he has a little bit of wiggle room, but more importantly you will be happier in the long run if you do not sacrifice the quality. :)