Need help picking brand in Oklahoma

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ConstantChange

Need help picking brand in Oklahoma

#1 Post by ConstantChange »

My house had 6 windows damaged by the May 20th tornado that hit the OKC/Moore area. Now I need to make a decision on what brand and model to use as replacements.

The first guy I called out only uses Don Young windows. His estimate says "Don Young single-hung, dual-pane vinyl windows in white, with low E glass and Argon gas." The model/series of the windows is not listed. For 5 windows (we combined two windows to go from 6 to 5), the cost would be $2,250

The second company I contacted only uses NT windows. They use the Presidential series. Estimate says "5 windows - $2,900."

After reading several threads, I'm also interested in the Simonton 5500 window, but haven't found a company who can install them.

Out of these three windows, which would you recommend?

Also, any recommendations on window companies/installers in the 73170 zip code?

ConstantChange

Re: Need help picking brand in Oklahoma

#2 Post by ConstantChange »

Another thing I'd like to find out is if there is a good mid-grade replacement vinyl window that uses a smaller frame. Several of my neighbors have already had their new windows installed and the frames look big (more frame; less glass). They look cheap to me.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 5500 will probably be on the larger side of the frame scale.

Soft-Lite make several models that have narrow frames as do Sunrise and Okna. Not sure who, if any, on that list are down there in OK.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If your existing units are aluminum primes with flanges everything that you look at as a replacement window will look like a much larger frame.

theWindowNerd...

randy

#5 Post by randy »

The NT Presidential is the better of the two as described. I would be careful since Don Young has two single hung vinyl windows; the 5200 series is a solid window choice with a lifetime warranty. The 6200 series is a budget vinyl window with only a 10 year warranty. The contractor offering Don Young windows isn't very professional, which could be a red flag.

The NT Presidential is every bit as good as Simonton, maybe even better.

ConstantChange

#6 Post by ConstantChange »

I believe the Don Young window was a 5 series window when I asked him.

Why do you say he's not professional? I've had more trouble with the NT guys. It's a company that contracts out all their window work, so I've met with two different guys and it seems they don't talk to each other. It's frustrating.

All of the estimates seem unprofessional to me. All hand-written with almost no details.

randy

#7 Post by randy »

Because originally all you told us was:
The first guy I called out only uses Don Young windows. His estimate says "Don Young single-hung, dual-pane vinyl windows in white, with low E glass and Argon gas." The model/series of the windows is not listed. For 5 windows (we combined two windows to go from 6 to 5), the cost would be $2,250
Now that you've added that he told you it was a 5 series, the window is more comparable to the NT Presidential.

I said he was unprofessional for the same reason you think they are unprofessional:
All of the estimates seem unprofessional to me. All hand-written with almost no details.

ConstantChange

#8 Post by ConstantChange »

I decided to contact NT windows to find another dealer/installer. I contacted the name they gave me and asked if they installed NT Presidential windows. She said they typically do not. They sell "Traditions" model NT windows. She said she could get the Presidential windows, but the Traditions windows were better.

She said something along the lines of "We've been in business for 30 years and NT makes the traditions windows for us."

Here is a link to the company website with information on the Traditions window...
http://www.jandrwindows.com/traditions_windows.html

On their Facebook page, they have an award for 2011 and 2012 Oklahoma Traditions Dealer of the Year from NT windows.

So my question is, how do the Traditions windows compare to the Presidential windows?

randy

#9 Post by randy »

I would guess that the Traditions is a rebranded Energy Master. For the most part the Energy Master and the Presidential are equivalent windows in terms of performance. The differences are primarily aesthetic. Either window will be fine.

LoneStarGuy

#10 Post by LoneStarGuy »

ConstantChange,
I am curious on what you decided? My choices are similar to what you had and was wondering how the project turned out?

NuSash

#11 Post by NuSash »

Same question here - wondering what you ultimately decided and how it turned out.

I'm sure others could benefit from your feed back as well.

Which ever selection you made hope it turned out well for you.