Is the infinity a "thinner window??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Condolady

Is the infinity a "thinner window??

#1 Post by Condolady »

The Marvin infinty salesperson just left-NOT PUSHY AT ALL, no talking on and on how great the window is. I guess the window speaks for itself. will get back to me with the price...didn't force me to sign anything....No pressure
I have noticed the two panes of glass seem to be "closer together" as oppsed to my old vinyls and others I have seen. It appears to be 1/2 inch beween the panes of glass as apposed to my old vinyls and others I have seen to be about an inch. Never really noticed it before because the space beween the glass all looked the same.Before I question the salesperson I would like to unobjective opinion on this.
They also use u shaped stainless steel spacers with warm edge technology. They have their own spacer technology. How do they fair compared to other spacers....
Thank-you

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Is the infinity a "thinner window??

#2 Post by masterext »

Infinity do not make their own spacer, its made by cardinal glass.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Cardinal make some great glass in the industry.

If you want to compare the windows, you will need to compare the performance data (U-Factor, SHGC, etc).

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Good info and advice above. The Infinity does not have its own spacer, nor do the vast majority (if not all) other windows.
As Windows on Washington alluded to, the thickness of the insulated glass unit is only one factor that contributes to the performance. The U value and SHGC will reflect the overall thermal performance, so that is what I'd recommend that you focus on rather than specific areas unless you become VERY well versed in the in's and out's of windows. Don't forget to look at structural ratings as well such as design pressure and air infiltration.
The Infinity a beautiful, well-built window that is a good choice in the right circumstances. You might compare some other options however if performance is paramount in your decision.

Oberon

#5 Post by Oberon »

To answer your specific question, there certainly can be variations in the width of spacers used in dual pane windows.

As a general rule wider is not necessarily better because a wider airspace between lites will result in an increase in convection currents in the airspace that will lower the insulating performance of the unit.

That said, IG energy performance with airspace widths between about 7/16" and 3/4" inch are going to be pretty much equal. Airspaces that are narrower or wider than that range will begin to lose performance values; initially it's not much of a loss, in fact its pretty small, but as airspace narrows or widens it becomes more of an issue. Narrower being more of a potential problem than wider.

The U shape spacer is made my PPG and it's called Intercept. It is probably the most widely used spacer in the window industry. Although Intercept was originally designed to be fabricated using stainless steel, that option was deemed too expensive and the design was changed and Intercept is made with tin plated steel rather than stainless.

However, PPG introduced an alternate version of the spacer that does use stainless steel called supercept.

As mentioned in the previous replies, the IG package used in Infinity is manufactured by Cardinal and its called XL. The Cardinal XL spacer is a very thin stainless steel box with a line of tiny perforations that are visible in the center of the spacer.

Both Intercept and XL are considered to be warm-edge technology. In reality, its really only spacers made of aluminum are not considered to be warm edge.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Amen to a wider air space causing convection . The notion that a wider space in double pane glass rendering a better Ufactor is nonsense.
Most windows using intercept are a tin plated alloy and not stainless steel.