Single hung v/s Double hung

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
surfactant

Single hung v/s Double hung

#1 Post by surfactant »

I want to replace the front windows on my townhome in Maryland. All my windows are vinyl single hung and the performance in my opinion has been good. The reason i want to replace the front windows are that they have direct sunlight exposure and the vinyl has be discolored and the windows have been kinda beat up by the sun. The windows on the back are still in good shape. In looking for windows some companies have been pushing double hung. I would rather replace with single hung on the front and at a later date replace the rear windows with the same. Can anyone comment on the Okna 505 single hung window? Are single hung windows a good investment or are they principally builder grade or budget windows. I really have no need for a top sash that moves and I don't mind the extra cleaning effort. Thanks in advance for any information.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Single hung v/s Double hung

#2 Post by masterext »

The okna is a very solid window. I understand you " not needing a double hung". However, i am quite certain it can be an issue if/ when you sell your home.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Few points:

- Most manufacturer's SH's are cheapo builder grade stuff. That said, a few are not, and I'd include the Okna in the latter category. Great product.

- Masterext makes a good point above. While you may not care about the extra cleaning effort, DH's may be more appealing if you ever sell your home. The Okna DH will offer all of the performance of the SH, and the price difference is generally minimal in that line.

-Depending on where you are located in Maryland, you may be in the service area of Windows on Washington who is a respected board pro. I'd definitely contact him (get a quote button by his name) if you are still taking bids. Okna is one of the lines that he carries, and they run a top-flite operation.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I too agree with the above comments.
Windows on Washington is a great oufit.

theWindowNerd...

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

One of the main reasons people go with single hungs is to get a more airtight window, as many brands of double hungs are very leaky. A single hung does away with one sash moving which theoretically will make a more airtight window.
With the Okna 500 double hung having a .02 air infiltration rate, that is completely a mute point (versus their single hung.) Plus, the difference in price between the Okna double hung and single hung is very minimal.
I'd go with their double hung every time given the choice between the two, ...unless of course the window was going into a moving vehicle or a boat. :mrgreen:

surfactant

#6 Post by surfactant »

Thanks for the advice I will look into these specific brands. I have no exterior trim on the inside of the windows that I want to replace. They reside inside an area and have about 3 1/4" drywall on top and left and right sides. The bottom is a normal wood sill. My question is in regards to the interior area. Will typical window contractors maintain or possible refine this drywall area along with the sill? is this something that I need to specify in the contract? Thank you for any support as you can tell I'm a newby.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

It depends on the jamb depth of the existing window. If it is 3 1/4", you would ideally keep the drywall returns and wood stool in tact. If the existing window has a more narrow frame, you would have 3 choices:
1) Cut back the drywall and stool to accommodate the new window
2) Downsize the window to sit within the drywall and atop the stool, then add stops.
3) Remove it all completely and install new wood jamb extensions and stool, along with casing. This option is obviously much more costly.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

You can also do option 2 as HomeSealed pointed out but rather than cut back the drywall, you could remove the stool, cut it back, and install the window behind the stool as opposed to on top.