Window Replacement Help needed.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Iowagal

Window Replacement Help needed.

#1 Post by Iowagal »

Looking to replace 19 windows in my home. Four of the windows are 48 x 48, four are 23 x 48, the rest are considerably smaller. I have a couple of questions. First, I believe I have an installer picked. He has been in the business installing windows for the past 8 years, so I feel he is qualified. Feedback has been good as well. My questions are as follows:
First, he is affiliated with Alside windows. I haven't read very good feedback with that particular window. He did say he would be willing to install a different type of window for me.
Second, I have heard good things about Gorell windows, but also heard that SoftLite bought them out. Is SoftLite as good as Gorell?
Third, what recommendations do you have for windows? We don't plan on moving so I need these windows to last; however, I don't want to spend $15 either.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Oh, I am located in the NE section of Iowa.

randy

Re: Window Replacement Help needed.

#2 Post by randy »

Soft-lite is financially stable and that is alone is a big plus these days. For premium grade vinyl windows (Okna, Soft-lite, Sunrise) you may have to go through a dealer and that will mean using their installers typically.

I would have your installer find out what brands he can get for you. You should also get a quote or two from dealers who offer the brands mentioned and see how they compare. I don't think that Okna is available in your are yet, but Sunrise and Soft-lite would be good choices.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

The upper tier Soft-Lite windows (Elements/Imperial LS) aren't typically available to installers through building supply houses. Soft-Lite does market their Pro and Bainbridge, and possibly the Barrington to these types of wholesalers for contractors and homeowners. Soft-Lite has just put the Bainbridge on steroids to make it more appealing as it's one the windows that has replaced a very popular Gorell model.

They took the older Bainbridge and are injecting foam filling to the vinyl extrusion. To increase the sash strength they're putting fiberglass stiffeners into the top and bottom of the sashes. Super Spacer upgrade is standard with my dealer package on this series now. This model is marketed as the Baindbridge LE. If you can't get access or attractive pricing on the Imperial LS this Bainbridge LE or the Pro series would be worth a look over anything from Alside.

Iowagal

#4 Post by Iowagal »

Can you tell me why Alside is such an inferior brand? Specifically why so many contractors online have said not to use it, but not necessarily why.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I can't speak for others, but I have experienced more service/quality control issues with that brand than any other. In addition, I am not a fan of the pocket/capture sill design that most of their products use, the designs are kind of bulky and outdated, and the thermal and structural ratings (u value, shgc, air infiltration, design pressure, etc) do not compare favorably to other "high end" vinyl windows -- which they purport themselves to be.
Don't get me wrong, it is not the worst window on the market-- far from it, but there are many other products that IMO are better both objectively and subjectively.
I will concede however that at least a portion of their questionable reputation can be attributed to the fact that it is one of the most widely available products out there, meaning that many installations are done by guys(and gals) that are probably unqualified to do so. This is actually why many manufacturers are very selective about who they sell to, much to the chagrin of consumers at times.
Alside is also sold under the Window World line, the Revere name, Gentek, Enviroview, and Preservation.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Homesealed gave a great explanation.
I had a client who requested we install them for him even though we had showed him other windows. I think the company that pitched the window to him did a good job, but he wanted our install, we sell him what he requested..
So we get all done and he wants to know why the windows have so much play/tolerance, not only that it is different on other windows on the project. The mfg said it was within spec tolerance so the guy was not happy with my answer and then called in another installer to consult to see if the install was at fault. The independent inspector said the install was perfect and that what he was unhappy with was the window.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »