Vinyl replacement options in MA

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kmpkmp97

Vinyl replacement options in MA

#1 Post by kmpkmp97 »

I've been reading a lot of posts these last few days in an attempt to educate myself. First, thanks to the pros out there that take the time to share their opinions on what I find to be a very confusing industry.

As for my questions, I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about getting some quotes for Soft-Lite Pro, Okna 400/500 and maybe one other comparable window. So is it better to start with a dealer or an installer? Also can any installer get his hands on any brand, or are supply systems regional? I have a couple of reputable installers in mind that have received many positive reviews on Angie's List, but both deal a lot with Harvey, which from what I read is not a great window. Should I be concerned that they primarily use this window brand? Thanks.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Vinyl replacement options in MA

#2 Post by masterext »

Not a fan of harvey at all. Only a licensed dealer can install okna which is the best way to go anyway. This way you are covered with both product and installation.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would say the Harvey is mid grade but certainly not in the company of the Okna and Soft-Lites of the window offerings.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

If you're wanting one of the premium brands, it's better to start with a dealer. With few exceptions, the better manufacturers distribute through dealers only, so a general installer may not have access to anything other than mid grade products.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

All good advice above. Your best bet will be to contact the manufacturers directly and ask for the names of a dealer or two in your area...
I'll just add one last comment RE:
kmpkmp97 wrote: Should I be concerned that they primarily use this window brand? Thanks.
That in itself may or may not be cause for concern. Certainly the most knowledgeable and quality focused professionals are going to insist on using high-end products, however using a lower tiered offering could be an indicator of "cost-cutting" which could extend to the installation realm as well, but it could also simply be a high-quality craftsman that just isn't a window nerd and really doesn't know any better.

kmpkmp97

#6 Post by kmpkmp97 »

Thanks for the advice. I have contacted a few dealers.

kmpkmp97

#7 Post by kmpkmp97 »

So does anyone have a recommendation for getting a hold of a soft-lite dealer in my area. I did fill out the online for their website and was contacted by a very pushy company that I won't name. I've looked for phone numbers for soft-lite with no luck. I really want to get some pricing from this company, but there is no way I'm going with the dealer that contacted me.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

there should be a phone number somewhere on the website to contact them... You could also google Softlite windows __________ < insert your city or metro area.
You should have Okna available in your area as well.

sgilliatt

#9 Post by sgilliatt »

kmpkmp97 wrote:So does anyone have a recommendation for getting a hold of a soft-lite dealer in my area. I did fill out the online for their website and was contacted by a very pushy company that I won't name. I've looked for phone numbers for soft-lite with no luck. I really want to get some pricing from this company, but there is no way I'm going with the dealer that contacted me.
Depending on where you live in MA, there may be another option for you as far as Soft-lites go, although the company I'm thinking of only does the Imperial-LS. I don't know if I can say company names on here or not, but I will say they are located in Billerica and they were not pushy at all, so I doubt it's the same company you mentioned.

I'd be interested in knowing who you went through for your Okna quote. I live in the Merrimack Valley and there are two Okna dealers that I got quotes from on the Insul-Tec. One was $609 per window and the other was around $475. I know the $609 is mid-range for the Insul-Tec as far as pricing goes and the $475 is on the lower end, but I'd love to get a 3rd quote if there was another dealer in my service area.