Replacements in Philly...help!!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
drlegg99

Replacements in Philly...help!!

#1 Post by drlegg99 »

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help...we've had two people come out for estimates...looking @ 11 DH windows and 1 picture window. All double pane, argon gas, installed. We have an older house in the city - 6 windows are on the 1st floor and 6 on the 2nd. The process to get a quote is worse than buying a car..

The two reps that came out gave "retail prices" north of $20k, but after discounts and such, came down to $16k. I wasn't planning on signing anything on the spot, but after the 2nd guy, I was tired and went with him - he made it seem like I was getting a great deal!

Anyway, as I've looked around a little more (and had time to think about it), I feel like the $1300 per window seems a little (ok, a lot) high. I have until tomorrow to cancel under the 3 day period, so I'm hoping to get some 11th hour advice!!

Is this crazy or just the cost of living in a big city in the northeast??

Thanks,

dave

Delaware Mike

Re: Replacements in Philly...help!!

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

With the red flags of retail vs. discount pricing, I'd be inclined to take my time and make sure that you have met with enough qualified professionals prior to signing. You didn't disclose any window or installation details so no one would have any idea as to if your pricing was fair or not. In this industry about 75% or more of the outfits and commission based sales reps in which their only chance of earning one's business is by a "first call close" type of presentation. It's brutal and confusing once you've meet with several of these outfits.

Anthony and I know virtually all of the window outfits in your area and there are some that I would steer clear of. Wolves in sheep's clothing. Lots of promises and and poor results.

drlegg99

#3 Post by drlegg99 »

I'm dealing with PJ Fitzpatrick.

One downstairs window is a picture window with two DH on either side. There are three other DH windows downstairs. The approximate hole is 109x79.

Upstairs, we have six double hung windows in two rooms. Both measurements are about the same 108X50 - they are going to bring three windows of similar size to install.

I didn't catch the name brand, but they are vinyl windows, double pane, argon gas, 9 layers of protective coating on each side, etc, etc, etc. Installation includes removal, installation, trim, etc.

Thanks for the quick response....

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

PJ is a good company. I have some friends that I know that work there. Pretty good, mostly in-house installers and top notch product lines. However, they are about the most expensive bid that you could ever find. They typically do the Great Lakes/Plygem Premium series which is a decent window. They also do the Marvin Infinity line of fiberglass windows is some cases. Given the price they gave you I was hoping that's what you purchased at such a high cost.

If you wanted to speak to someone that also serves your area without all the high pressure sales tactics I'd suggest that you contact "Anthony" who is one the local resident window Pros on these boards. There are several of us on here that once carried the Great Lakes lines including myself that much prefer the OKNA/HiMark products. They're made locally to the Philly region too.

drlegg99

#5 Post by drlegg99 »

I used Anthony's get a quote button, but it said he doesn't service Philly. Any help?
Thanks !

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

drlegg99 wrote:I used Anthony's get a quote button, but it said he doesn't service Philly. Any help?
Thanks !
Anthony definitely serves the Philly area. I would let him respond to your post to see what is up. Maybe your zip code didn't get added to his profile when he set it up.

RnRJefro

#7 Post by RnRJefro »

$1300 per window for vinyl windows?

That seems like a very high price.

You may have a difficult removal/installation situation in your home and/or have some large sizes...but enough to justify $1300 per window?

I would cancel that contract instantly.

I got a quote from them also and IIRC they were about 50-60% more than what I paid in the end.

You should definitely get more than 2 estimates.

If Anthony (or someone else on this forum) can't do the work, I can check with the company that did mine to see if they do work in the city. If so, I'll have them give you a call. I don't see why they wouldn't do installs in the city. They traveled over an hour to do my house in the Suburbs. You are probably only 20 minutes from them.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you post your zip code I will open the portal.

drlegg99

#9 Post by drlegg99 »

19128. thanks

drlegg99

#10 Post by drlegg99 »

anthony wrote:If you post your zip code I will open the portal.
Are you with Castle Windows?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

Anthony is NOT with castle windows. He is a true professional and a total gentleman. Trust me, you will be in very good hands.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am an old dog, doing this for 35 years. Started by working for a small mfg in Willow Grove Pa as an installer helper. After 5 years I decide I could better serve the needs of people by being independent. My goal is to listen to my customers and find the best options to meet their needs. Because of that we work with clad wood, fiberglass, and vinyl. Doing both major types of installs: insert replacement and full tear/full frame replacement.

wayne Anthony young thewindownerd...

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

No one with an installation background, dignity, or a fully functioning brain could ever work at Castle except for used car salesmen that have been chased out of that industry for ethics violations.............. :D