simonton versus ideal replacement vinyl windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
franpb

simonton versus ideal replacement vinyl windows?

#1 Post by franpb »

I need some experienced person to let me know the differences between Ideal ultratite vinyl window ( a company in Bayonne,NY) with gold energy package and Simonton's vantage point window installed by home depot. The home depot quote is $7000 for 12 windows (10 double hung and 2 picture) versus $6000 for the same window combination. Is it worth the extra money to get the Simonton window?

We expect to be in our home for another 20 years!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: simonton versus ideal replacement vinyl windows?

#2 Post by masterext »

Ive used both. ideal is a flimsy window( even their so called " top offering)and i will not offer that to my customers, its similar to american jewel. Simonton is ok but basically a midgrade offering and lacks in performance as most pro's on this board would attest to. For the money you are paying for simonton, you could get a higher/ better grade vinyl that has much higher structural ratings, much better energy efficiency numbers, and looks alot nicer.

Look at Okna, Soft Lite, Sunrise, or Gorell. Those are some nice, solid windows. If you are in New York, they should all be available.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

If it was me, based on your observation of 20 years of use, I would re-open your search and expand your options.

The Ideal window is a questionable extrusion by comparison to a well engineered window and the Simonton is bulky and a bit on the leaky side when it comes to air infiltration.

Have you looked at some of the more well regarded windows like Okna and Softlite.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Ditto to the above. The Okna Himark 800, Softlite Elements, and Sunrise Restorations are arguably the top 3 "mainstream" vinyl windows available. I'd also suggest doing some research on the hit or miss nature of box store installs.