window replacement in winter?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ardcp

window replacement in winter?

#1 Post by ardcp »

i just read on another board that replacing vinyl windows in winter was a bad idea. the reasons stated that the seal wont hold and vinyl could crack. is this true? all the window companies i talked to told me they install year round here in albany ny area.
also any opinions on replacing three double hung window with a 25-50-25 kind of window?(i forget what it was called but the center window is fixed)
also an install question, the sunrise rep said they will cut the nail fin? with a special tool that will allow them to install with cutting back the vinyl siding. i am seeing on this board that this is not the best way to install. i assumed that sunrise would compel a certain level of quality from their installers so how can a homeowner tell if an installer will install the window properly.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: window replacement in winter?

#2 Post by masterext »

That is complete nonsense. I dont know who makes these things up. We use sealants that can be used in any weather condition. As far as vinyl windows cracking in the winter, its just plain ridiculous. We do a large portion of our business in the cold winter months and have done so for years.
Either a salesman who knows nothing about installations said that or a contractor who doesnt do alot of windows said that.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Complete bunk.

We install all year.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'll agree with the other esteemed professionals, and this is coming from up north in Wisconsin. We generally don't work if it is under 14 degrees or so, or in snow storms, but other than that there is really no validity to the claims made. Most companies will even have a set of procedures used during the winter months to minimize the heat loss during the install, keep the floors clean, etc.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:I'll agree with the other esteemed professionals, and this is coming from up north in Wisconsin. We generally don't work if it is under 14 degrees or so, or in snow storms, but other than that there is really no validity to the claims made. Most companies will even have a set of procedures used during the winter months to minimize the heat loss during the install, keep the floors clean, etc.
We don't get to 14 degrees here so that would be problematic for the installers purely from the standpoint of just moving around.

:shock:

Oberon

#6 Post by Oberon »

Windows on Washington wrote: We don't get to 14 degrees here so that would be problematic for the installers purely from the standpoint of just moving around.

:shock:
:lol:

It isn't so bad when the sun is out and no wind :roll:, but when it gets below zero then it's starting to get cold, sun or no sun!

It occurs to me that this particular topic shows up every year around this time and I am expecting window condensation questions to be showing up any time now!

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Oberon wrote:
It occurs to me that this particular topic shows up every year around this time and I am expecting window condensation questions to be showing up any time now!
Have not seen too many on the boards, but we dealt with a rash of calls a couple of weeks ago when the temps began to dip and it was still very damp. All exterior.

Oberon

#8 Post by Oberon »

How often do people argue with you when you tell them that exterior condensation this time of year means that their windows are performing normally?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Oberon wrote:How often do people argue with you when you tell them that exterior condensation this time of year means that their windows are performing normally?
Once you explain it to them...not so much.

The immediate associative value with condensation is that the windows are failing.

Start telling them that they get condensation to the North facing side vs. the other elevations and really blow their mind. :lol:

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. It really depends on how much evidence you provide to support it. We typically supply links to glass manufacturer websites, blog posts, etc. to give them peace of mind and technical explanation so that they aren't just "taking our word for it"... Pilkington has a nice piece on it.

Oberon

#11 Post by Oberon »

Makes perfect sense.

:lol: I try (TRY) to keep it simple.

I have had a few people argue with me over the years, but most people pick right up on the dew analogy. Once you explain it in those terms you can see the light bulb in their head come on. :idea:

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Oberon wrote:Makes perfect sense.

:lol: I try (TRY) to keep it simple.

I have had a few people argue with me over the years, but most people pick right up on the dew analogy. Once you explain it in those terms you can see the light bulb in their head come on. :idea:
I get the most arguments when they start with the fact that the window right next to it doesn't have exterior condensation so it must be something wrong with the window. When I tell them that light wind and temperature changes can happen just a few feet away as can interior "weather" from furnace vents and drafts in the home that can affect the temperature of the glass from window to window. Some will relent, some will call bull with their eyes...

Ricknez

#13 Post by Ricknez »

A few weeks back, i had my windows installed in cold weather and everything sealed perfectly. I was also a bit apprehensive but after my contractor reassuring me that he does many installs in the dead of the winter cold, i trusted his word. He was right and everything is sealed up and air tight; both the caulk and the foam insulation.
I think cracking vinyl is not realistic.