Heat Tolerance of Vinyl Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
newman.nancy

Heat Tolerance of Vinyl Windows

#1 Post by newman.nancy »

We purchased windows in 2008 that were manufactured by a company that is no longer in existence. we have no warranty. We are ready to exterminate our home and have no idea if these vinyl windows will tolerate the 140 degree temp for 2 hours. Our installer as suggested that while the glass will be fine, the windows could develop cracks. Please advise. Time is of the essence, our appointment is Monday, Nov. 4.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Heat Tolerance of Vinyl Windows

#2 Post by masterext »

What is the name of that manufacturer?

newman.nancy

#3 Post by newman.nancy »

Our windows were manufactured by American Weather Seal. I talked to someone with the Window manufacturers Association. He asked me to check for a gold seal on the sill or the stiles. Nothing. I know this company was owned in part by Monarch Holdings, but that co. no longer exists. I spoke with Monarch Building products they deny any connection. No one there could answer the heat limit question. We have no warranty.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Heat of deformation temperature on vinyl (that used in windows) is usually around 150 - 160.

If you stay below that, you should be fine structurally but I am not sure what impact, if any, there is on insulated glass units.

newman.nancy

#5 Post by newman.nancy »

Our installer said the glass would be fine at that temperature, but he was afraid the vinyl might seem fine now, but develop cracks as time went on. Others have said those windows get much hotter than 140 when the sun is directly on them.
Thanks for taking the time to respond in our hour of need.

Oberon

#6 Post by Oberon »

The glass will be fine as long as the heat applied to the windows is consistent.

IGU seals depend on the spacer and sealants used. Some of the non-metallic spacers tend to be heat sensitive, but 140°F should be low enough (for the short duration) that they should be okay. I wouldn't want to hold 140°F for an extended period with some systems though.

I don't know what IG system that manufacturer used.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I worked for a LP Weatherseal dealer in the 70s and up to the mid 80s and I remember one of their top salesmen who told people that these were the same windows they were using in the space shuttle. With that in mind, ...they should be fine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

fridge2020

#8 Post by fridge2020 »

Any update? Gotta be honest, it would make me nervous.

newman.nancy

#9 Post by newman.nancy »

We successfully completed the heat treatment on Nov. 4. All windows appear to be operating as they were before the treatment. Our technician explained that while the ambient air temp would range between 120 and 140, they were not blowing the air directly on the windows. Rather they were targeting the closets and mattresses and baseboards. We, of course, are still disappointed that American Weater Seal closed their doors leaving us with no warranty. Our installer has been replacing glass packs, etc., for his customers at cost, making no profit on warranty work for Americn Weather Seal. I was given a phone number for Monarch Holdings who appeared to own AWS. When I called that number it was answered by Monarch Materials. The receptionist vehemently denied any connection with AWS, and Monarch Holding. I still think it is no coincidence that Monarch Materials answers the phone when I dial the number for Monarch Holding. Very disappointing. Thank you all for your concern and comments.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Thats why its of the utmost importance to get a high end vinyl brand such as Okna, Soft lite, Sunrise, Gorell, or Affinity.
These windows can withstand the heat in the Arizona desert as well as the cold in Canada.
A low end brand will not be able to withstand those extremes and warping will be an issue.