Soft Lite Imperial LS locking mechanisms

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
IvoryGirl73

Soft Lite Imperial LS locking mechanisms

#1 Post by IvoryGirl73 »

Huh? Optional locking mechanism????? After much deliberation, I finally made up my mind and decided to hire a company to install the LS double hung replacement windows. The infiltration numbers and such were all great. I thought our price quote was very reasonable too (about 6 grand for 12 windows installed).

But....I came home from work tonight to find the windows installed, (flashing and installation tomorrow ) and the units don't automatically lock on their own. I have to flip little locks on the top of the bottom unit. The sample I looked at was definitely different and the salesman did not say anything about the auto locking mechanisms being an option. I thought all the windows were the same. I am very sad about this discovery.

Is this something that can be easily changed or would the whole window need to be replaced?

Thank you again for all your advice and taking time to answer questions from the average consumer!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Soft Lite Imperial LS locking mechanisms

#2 Post by masterext »

I highly doubt anything nefarious is going on. Usually auto locks would be stipulated in the contract because its an upgrade. Finally, i am not a fan of those auto locks as i used to get far too many service calls. The cam lock that you have is a better option in my opinion.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think the locks can be swapped out for the Auto units, but I am with masterext...don't do it.

The Autolocks are a PITB and rarely work as intended.

The cam locks will give you better performance and will work better over the lifetime of the product.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

You absolutely do not want the auto locks on your windows. I installed one job with them back in 2005 for an elderly lady who had a very hard time operating them. Never again. The windows were installed with perfect sash alignment and level. One has to slam the sashes shut to get both locks fully engaged. If the top sash is even ever so slightly not up in it's fully seated position nether lock will work. The regular sweep or cam locks also look better in my opinion.

I don't know about swapping the locks out even though I have some auto locks in my service kit from Soft-Lite. It may be possible with the factory routing/mortising of the sashes, but I would never advise it.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

One more vote for the standard locks. You dodged a bullet by not getting the auto locks.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I'll pile on this one as well, as I am not a fan of the auto-locks offered by any of the manufacturers... I'd also concur with masterext that your sales guy probably did not intend to mislead you. Sample windows are generally loaded up with a "cadillac option package", so perhaps it was either mentioned in passing or inadvertently forgotten during the presentation. The product literature should show what is standard and what is not for reference.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Don't do the auto locks. I sell several brands that have them as options and I won't sell them. They are a service nightmare. They also affect the air infiltration numbers negatively.