Simonton Asure vs Simonton Gold

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
VaCollector

Simonton Asure vs Simonton Gold

#1 Post by VaCollector »

I have been looking at mid-grade windows and have seen the Simonton Asure model at Lansing but when I visited Norandex, I was told that they sold the Simonton Gold window and that it was the same window. As I do not have them side by side, I wasn't sure. Can anyone confirm?

Additionally, I would appreciate any recommendations for Southeastern Virginia.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton Asure vs Simonton Gold

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Negative.

Simonton Prism Gold = Simonton 5300
Simonton Prism Platinum = Simonton 5500
Simonton Asure = Simonton 5050

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Not a fan of the Assure. I'd spend the extra money and invest in Simonton's best series which is the Impression 9800 if you're going to go that route with Simonton.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

If they're priced similarly, the Prism Gold is the better window. If the Prism Platinum/5500 is within budget it would be the best option of the three. Even better would be the 9800.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Hi Randy. We have a Lansing real close to me that I frequent quite often for building materials. They have hand samples and displays of the 5500 ad 9800 side by side and I had based my opinion upon the weatherstripping contact points of the sash to jamb contact. The 9800 appeared to have 3 points of contacts like that of OKNA, Soft-Lite, Sunrise, and other premium vinyl offerings, while the 5500 that I was only 2 points. The biggest knock on Simonton in my opinion has always been their higher air infiltration compared to the fore mentioned brands. I also feel that their offerings are a bit dated by design these days with a weeping sill, bulky sashes, lack of composite reinforcement, and not offering any foam filling to enhance the overall U-factor in Northern climates. With that being said, I don't feel that Simonton is a bad window as I know some really good guys that have had great success with Simonton over the years.

I'm positive that you know the Simonton lines a lot better than me, so your advice on the series is greatly appreciated to further improve my understanding of their different series.

VaCollector

#6 Post by VaCollector »

Thanks for all of your input!

As PRICE is a factor for me and the windows that I am replacing are 45 years old, I feel confident that even the Simonton Gold windows will impress me......and while I am hopeful for SOME heating/cooling benefit, I am most looking forward to the ease of cleaning 8)

My best price for 20 standard (half screen, low e, grids) double hung windows by a reputable window (in business since 1991) is $6500 and while I'm no expert...maybe I should say that AGAIN ~ I'm no expert....but I think that is extremely reasonable. What say you?

randy

#7 Post by randy »

Hi Mike, always good to dialogue with you friend. I agree with your assessment of Simonton in every aspect. My advice to the OP was based solely on comparing one Simonton line to another. The 9800 is certainly the best offering from Simonton, and yet that window falls well short of Okna, Sunrise, Soft-lite and some others, on that we fully agree as well. :D

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

VaCollector wrote:Thanks for all of your input!

As PRICE is a factor for me and the windows that I am replacing are 45 years old, I feel confident that even the Simonton Gold windows will impress me......and while I am hopeful for SOME heating/cooling benefit, I am most looking forward to the ease of cleaning 8)

My best price for 20 standard (half screen, low e, grids) double hung windows by a reputable window (in business since 1991) is $6500 and while I'm no expert...maybe I should say that AGAIN ~ I'm no expert....but I think that is extremely reasonable. What say you?
I certainly hear you on price being a factor.

I will only say this (as pathetically pithy as it sounds), but going cheap is often expensive.

While that firm might be well respected, I don't know of a quality application in which you can install a good window at that type of number. If there was, everyone would probably be doing it and while I don't consider the Asure a throw-away product, its darn close.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

Soft-Lite is available through some of the Norandex stores, maybe all? The top models are not available but you can get the Pro Series.